Power Rake

/ Power Rake #1  

bmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
OK, Things have been too quiet around here for the past several days. Guess its time throw out another question.

Anyone know what the power rake attachment does? I initially thought it may be a dethatcher However, I see they have a dethatcher ($1900) and a power rake ($2500) for the diesel machines so I'm guessing these are 2 different animals. There is no dethatcher listed for the 400 series.

I though a power rake was used for soil preparation to remove the small stones, etc (e.g. harley rake) before seeding /soding. On the PT brochure I have, it shows the power rake on turf.

Can anyone educate me on this?

/ Power Rake #2  
power rake is pts = harley rake, which i think works the same way as you would say:" i am going to xerox a copy of this document".
some companies like toro have an agreement with the harley manufacturer and they make a harley rake just for the dingo machine.

/ Power Rake
Just like in the South where we say we're going to get a Coke when, in fact, we may have our sights set on a different soft drink.Because I have no tractor experience to speak of, I'm not sure how many uses there are for the "Harley Rake" (or its look alikes). Can you offer any guidance?Thanks

/ Power Rake #4  
i have not seen the pt power rake in action, but judging from all the other attachments i bought from them, i am quite pleased with the sturdiness, simplicity and ease of use. if you look at my profile i rated them according to my feelings and over two season use in landscaping.

i do, or will soon add a numeric position for the 60 inch finish mower very. am waiting on a decision of pt to make some changes on that mower first.

in talking with various people at pt since earlyspring i would adventure to say that the power rake will do fine against the harley rake and at less cost. if you are not using this thing for commercial use the power rake for the 400 series machine and the harley rake are ok with surfaces of an acre and less.

if money is no object like some of my friends on this net ... go ahead and get it and educate us ..... i am only kidding.

good luck

hrl

if you have do do more grading and removing rocks i recommend a to rent a skid steer with a rockhound ... this will allow you to prep the soil remove the rocks and load them on a larger/ taller vehicle than a garden trailer, in one action.

for depth prep of the soil i like the harley rake better for removal of large quantities of stones and rocks the rockhound is better.

my recommendation is unless you have allot of work to do and seedbed preparation is something you are going to do all the time i would first rent a dingo or a skid steer (plus above discussed attachment) and try them out for a day.

/ Power Rake
Good advice. After my last post, Chris from PT called me to follow-up on the sales info he sent me. I discussed the power rake with him and came to the same conclusion you just posted. I don't need one.

Other than the area surrounding my newly installed pool and a small area adjacent to my driveway, my lawn is established. It is in need of work (core aeration, top dressing, etc.) to smooth it out and improve the health of the grass, but the grass is in place.

I have no trees on my lot and was originally thinking of getting the planter digger with maybe a 14" and 30" auger and the tree handler. But after realizing what I would spend on these, unless I put in about a hundred trees, my cost per hole will be quite high. Of course the fun of digging holes does have its price.

Now I'm thinking the 60" finish mower, large and small buckets, forks, rake, core aerator and boom pole. Then get a Lackender backhoe to help with the pool retaining wall project and digging holes for trees. I think this combination of attachments would allow me to do most anything I need except tilling, and for this I can rent a tiller for the small areas I will need to prep for additional sod.

Well, my ramblings have gotten way off topic. Sorry. But now I think I can put the power rake query to rest. Thanks for your reply.

/ Power Rake #6  
looking forward to hear about your progress and hope you will go to work soon .... that is behind the controls of a pt .... hope you will like it.

good luck

hrl