Power head with tiller attachment, any good ?

/ Power head with tiller attachment, any good ? #1  

slowrev

Elite Member
Tractor
IH 2444
I have a Poulan Pro power head with tree trimming head and string trimmer head, bothe work well. My wife wants a small tiller, does anyone have any experience with these trimmer power head tillers ? Any good ? Easy to handle ?, etc.
Also will the Troy Built heads work on the Poulan Pro power heads ?

Thanks
Ben

/ Power head with tiller attachment, any good ? #2  
If the Troys cross, I'd think by coincidence only. But it seems a lot of the Craftsman crosses with the Poulan.

I bought the Craftsman labeled power head for the pole saw, but the wife likes using it for string trimming. I like the Stihl much better, but if she's doing it, I don't care if the Stihl gets lonely. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

To your real question: I don't know, but would think it's fine for cultivating already loose small areas. Anything more and the way a full size rear tine can toss you around, I'd think the little power head would be rather ineffective or beat the p--s out of you....just a guess there. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Power head with tiller attachment, any good ? #3  
We've got one. I bought it at Home Depot. I think they fit most of the common home use brands, in fact I think a lot of the brands are made by AYP. I think it works pretty well, I use it on the two little herb gardens and to weed between rows in the bigger garden. It will make your arms tired, it puts weight on the far end. My solution for this year was found at Home Depot as well, they had a left-over yardman minitiller from last year, very weathered from being outside, 30% off with full warranty. So, $132.00 later, she's even happier. I think the tiller attatchment was $89 by itself.

/ Power head with tiller attachment, any good ? #4  
I've got one. We've used it a lot. Works pretty well for flower gardens and stuff. It isn't heavy enough to really break into hard soil, but if you do give it enough time it will finally bounce itself up and down enough to finally get down into the soil. What I usually do when preparing a new bed is break up as much as I can will either the front tine tiller or the large Troy-Bilt rear tine. Then do corners and such with my Ryobi. Then each year after that if it needs done is just hit the spots that need it with the Ryobi. Monica usually plants perennials and uses cedar mulch so we usually don't have a lot of areas of redo. But we do have some and the Ryobi really comes in handy. Like I said, there are some projects that we do that I have all 3 tillers being used on the same job - and if I had one for the tractor it would probably be there too. I'm still trying to talk her into one of those though.

/ Power head with tiller attachment, any good ? #5  
I've abused mine pretty well and it seems to finally have sprung a leak in the transmission but I suspect it may not be too hard to fix. It works great on loose soil but forget about it breaking up and hard packed soil or clumps of turf.

I used for a steep hillside that no other tiller would have been able to hit.

/ Power head with tiller attachment, any good ?
thanks for the feedback guys. this tiller thingy is for the wife for flower beds and such. I think what I am hearing is that the trimmer attachment kind of tillers are ok, but the mini tillers are better, right ? I am just trying to find out if the trimmer tillers will do the job for her ok, don't really need another engine to maintain /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben

/ Power head with tiller attachment, any good ? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( mini tillers are better )</font>
I'd say yes. I've only just tried out the one I bought tuesday but, it was a lot easier on the arms. The attatchment style was ok for me but, it was harder on the ears ("my arms are sore", "I think that thing messed up my elbow", "I can't use it for to long at one time"...)
Well, I think you get the idea. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Power head with tiller attachment, any good ?
Thanks, I suspected this, but wanted to check it out with our members. Was wanting to save a bit of money and maintenance on another engine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben