Plowing County Road??

/ Plowing County Road?? #131  
Stay-Pack/Sure-Pack is essentially crushed stone with a powder left in from crushing. It's to allow it to pack like concrete/asphalt overtime.
We call that material “road base” in my area.

/ Plowing County Road?? #132  
Gotcha!!! Our annual gravel overlay is a combination of crushed limestone. There is a maximum allowance of smaller material. In our case only 10% can be smaller than 1/4". 70% has to be larger than 1/2". Maximum size is 1 1/2" This is by weight.
I wonder why no smaller materials? We like having some sand and powder mixed with gravel because it allows the gravel to “stay packed”

/ Plowing County Road?? #133  
I wonder why no smaller materials? We like having some sand and powder mixed with gravel because it allows the gravel to “stay packed”
Because as traffic runs over the gravel all year it gets smaller. You want more smalls? Just sit by the road and watch traffic go by. They are creating your smalls.

People will say "the gravel on our roads should be 2 feet deep since it's been applied every year for the past 30 years". I always say "look in your rearview mirror when driving down the road, what do you see?" Gravel dust. :)

/ Plowing County Road?? #134  
Because as traffic runs over the gravel all year it gets smaller. You want more smalls? Just sit by the road and watch traffic go by. They are creating your smalls.

People will say "the gravel on our roads should be 2 feet deep since it's been applied every year for the past 30 years". I always say "look in your rearview mirror when driving down the road, what do you see?" Gravel dust. :)
All I know is that is the preferred material here for gravel roads and it must also have a bit of clay dust because it locks together and becomes a hard surface. Clean gravel continues to move every time you drive on it.