OT: scissor lift?

/ OT: scissor lift? #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Hey guys, I'm thinking about maybe looking for a used scissor lift, one that'll go up about 25-30 feet. Any suggestions on what to look for used? There certainly seem to be plenty available on ebay for around $1000-1500 used. I think a lighter-duty one (like the ability to lift 500 lbs) would be sufficient.

Projects where I think I'll use it:
1) Putting a roof over (and screening in) my deck.
2) Taking down some tall trees in my backyard one section at a time (some don't have enough room to fall in any direction).
3) Cleaning/repairing the gutters.
4) Possibly some exterior painting.

I've heard so many horror stories about people falling off ladders and getting hurt/crippled/killed that I'm really not crazy about using a 30' extension ladder (especially now that I have another family member). If I have to do it on a tall ladder, I'd rather pay someone else to do it. However, I've used scissor lifts in the past for computer cabling, and I AM willing to go up on something that I see as considerably safer (assuming it's used properly).

What do you guys think about used lifts? Also, what do you think about my intended uses? Any suggestions?

Thx,
Dave

/ OT: scissor lift? #2  
have the hydraulics , electrical system checked out by a certified shop of that particular make and you should be ok. make sure that you are level with your ground platform, take the extra time for setup and not your life ... not my saying. if you are trimming you have to move the platform three times to get an even distribution of your trimming work. we .. in the business can always tell if someone has not mowed the the lift while trimming a tree.

with older lift equipment i always secure myself to the tree also, with a harness, as i am taking section by section down, maybe over cautious, but i have had enough accidents in my life.

good luck

hrl