Oil & Fuel Oil Seal on TC55DA Front Axle.

/ Oil Seal on TC55DA Front Axle. #1  

Osconda

Silver Member
Texas, Williamson County (aka Texas Hill Country)
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA, delivered 05/25/2005
Hello Folks,

I have a very slow leak on the front left axle. Enough to accumulate a lot of dirt on the wheel between washings. I'm going to replace the seal but wanted to get some idea of what this job entailed.

Since it's front-wheel assist it looks like I have to pull the axle. Not sure though. I haven't taken anything off yet.

Anybody done this kind of repair before? Any advice? I should have everything I need in the shop except the seal ($55) which I haven't purchased yet.

/ Oil Seal on TC55DA Front Axle. #2  
Hello Folks,

I have a very slow leak on the front left axle. Enough to accumulate a lot of dirt on the wheel between washings. I'm going to replace the seal but wanted to get some idea of what this job entailed.

Since it's front-wheel assist it looks like I have to pull the axle. Not sure though. I haven't taken anything off yet.

Anybody done this kind of repair before? Any advice? I should have everything I need in the shop except the seal ($55) which I haven't purchased yet.

If it is the axle shaft seal leaking, it's quite straightforward. Have a tube of anaerobic gasket eliminator available to seal the reduction gear cover. Even the swivel seals aren't difficult. I routinely replace either on tractors on-site. Ford 10 and 20 series compacts and all the later NH compacts use the same designs, if not the same parts.

/ Oil Seal on TC55DA Front Axle. #3  
Hi Rick B, When you say routine, are we talking 2 to 4 hours with the seal? Any special tools required?

Thanks, Coolhand

/ Oil Seal on TC55DA Front Axle. #4  
A properly sized seal driver and a well stocked toolbox. Less than 2 hours for a first timer, less than an hour with practice.

/ Oil Seal on TC55DA Front Axle. #5  
A properly sized seal driver and a well stocked toolbox. Less than 2 hours for a first timer, less than an hour with practice.

RickB - Thanks for the reply. Seal is on the way from Messicks. I have the seal driver - I looked at the assembly closely, seems pretty straightforward. Appreciate the info

Coolhand