O ring on FEL

/ O ring on FEL #1  

coastie15078

Bronze Member
Tractor
RK24
I have an RK24, and I was looking at the FEL today and noticed the O rings on both sides of the cylinder. Just wondering what they do? or if they came out of the cylinder?

Just having a O ring on the shaft really serves no purpose from what I see... Any ideas thumbnail_MVIMG_20181202_141743.jpg

/ O ring on FEL #2  
It didn't come from inside, sometimes they put them on to act as bumpers to quiet the metal on metal slam in certain apps. From the looks of the overspray, it might have been to hold masking paper on the shaft.

/ O ring on FEL #3  
They are used to keep the paint off of the wiper seals when painting, they are usually removed at the dealers when prepping the machine for delivery (PDI) to the customer. I'e seen them on many different brands.

/ O ring on FEL #4  
They are used to keep the paint off of the wiper seals when painting, they are usually removed at the dealers when prepping the machine for delivery (PDI) to the customer. I'e seen them on many different brands.

Thanks to coastie for posing the question and to Kenny for the answer!

I've got one of these 'O' rings on the left cylinder arm of my FEL too. I always wondered why and now I know.

/ O ring on FEL #5  
Just cut it off wagtail, it does not need to be there anymore?

/ O ring on FEL #6  
I had them on all my FEL cylinders. Figured they were some form of "wiper" until I saw that the don't follow the cylinder as it extends. Thanks for the reply Kenny.

/ O ring on FEL #7  
I have an RK24, and I was looking at the FEL today and noticed the O rings on both sides of the cylinder. Just wondering what they do? or if they came out of the cylinder?

Just having a O ring on the shaft really serves no purpose from what I see... Any ideasView attachment 581376

They are there to prevent over spray during the paint process. They have no use after that and can be removed or left on.

/ O ring on FEL #8  
What everyone else has said. Messick’s has a TMT video on this as well.