Nuts to me

/ Nuts to me
MossRoad.
That is a great program! I'll have to see if Missouri has something similar, but I don't plan to re-forrest exactly. I'll plant maybe an acre in walnuts. I would like to replace the scrub and dead trees in my old fence rows with some of the other trees, like the pecans, and have groves of a few trees here and there around the place. I'm getting a good deal on the trees though. The state sells a bundle of 3+ foot pecan and walnut seedlings, 15 each, for $12. I ordered that, 25 hazelnut, and 25 wild plum (to go along a ditch), for March delivery, and the total was $30.

Terry,
Yes it really is too bad about Stark Bros. I hadn't ordered from them, but they were strongly recommended by a friend and I was going to buy some fruit and nut trees from them in hopes of, if not instant gratification, at least something quicker than the several years the conservation trees will take to produce.

Chuck

/ Nuts to me
Terry,
I just got my Stark Bros Spring 2002 catalog. Wazzup? Did an angel buy the business?

P.S. I wanted to revive this thread anyway because I found three pecan trees on my property and wanted to ask if anyone had info on reviving trees that apparently don't make many nuts. They are large trees, more than 12" diameter, but all have vines that must be removed. I plan to clean out around them and fertilize in early spring. I also understand I should give them zinc. Are the nuts high in zinc? Maybe they'd be good against colds! They sure taste better than those nasty zinc lozenges.

Chuck

/ Nuts to me #13  
Chuck,

Well that is certainly good news!! Maybe the bankruptcy is similar to the QFC bankruptcy where they're able to reorganize.

Have to do a little Web research...

As far as restoring the trees, talk to country Ag agents. They should be able to provide some decent information about correcting the problem.

Terry