Northern Tool on the Web

/ Northern Tool on the Web #1  

gmason

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC35D4
Hello All, just a little FYI to all of you that have a Northern Tool store near you, to be carefull when doing some online pricing of parts. I've gone to thier website for several items and saw the price, but to only get to the store and see and extra $2-$5 for the item. I asked today why this was and the responce I got was that the online store price doesn't include the shipping costs. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

This is the only store I've see thus far that does this. Sears.com, Grainger.com , Homedepot.com have the same "price" on the web as they do in the store. Sometime's they may have a specail shipping deal, or a few $$ discount on online purchases to make up for the shipping charges.

So if you see a $19.99 price for something on the northerntool.com site and go to the store to buy it and find that thay have it for $22.99, say something to the manager like I did, like, that's not very good store policy, and that other retailers don't have misleading web prices.

gary

/ Northern Tool on the Web #2  
Gary, I kinda have mixed feelings about that. I'd like the prices to be the same, but can also understand about the shipping costs. I really hadn't noticed that price difference online, but know that several years ago I was going to order a 3 ton arbor press from them for about $100 until I found that the shipping would have been about $90 (it was heavy), so I called, then drove about 75 miles to their nearest store and bought it for the same price that was in their paper catalog.

I can also remember, before the Internet, when J.C. Penney and Sears frequently had higher prices on items in the stores than in their paper catalogs.

/ Northern Tool on the Web #3  
Hello Gary,

I have a Northern story similar to yours. I went to Northern to buy an auger for my post hole digger that I had seen in their catalog. The item wasn't in the store, and they telephoned the warehouse to verify they had one in stock. I was told I could buy the auger and drive over to the warehouse to pick it up.

As the cashier was ringing up the sale, the price came up higher than the price listed in the catalog, which I had in my hand.

When I brought this to the cashier's attention, he told me the same thing you heard: that the prices listed in the catalog didn't include shipping (even from the warehouse to the store), but he would give me the catalog price anyway.

So they apparently expected me to pay extra for shipping, then drive somewhere else to pick up the item!

Now if it weren't for the fact that their catalog is in stacks in the store, I might have assumed that their catalog order business was definitely different from their store (and the prices).

It's misleading at the very least.

/ Northern Tool on the Web
Here's a email I just recieved from Northerntool concerning their prices web v store v catalog.

<font color=blue>"Currently our online and paper catalogs are independent from our retail locations. We are looking into combining the two divisions at this time and do appreciate your taking the time to write us with your feedback."</font color=blue>

<font color=green> Interesting</font color=green> /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

gary

/ Northern Tool on the Web #5  
Thats right, they should be the same price. The store has the additional overhead of salepeople, and maintaining a store front.

/ Northern Tool on the Web #6  
Sears does not have the same ptices in their paper catalogs as they do in the store. Prices for tools in their paper catalogs are often cheaper.