NH 492 Haybine with new Stump Guards

/ NH 492 Haybine with new Stump Guards #1  

derekuk101

Bronze Member
Tractor
M5-111, M8540, M4900, Ford 3600
NH 492 Haybine with new Stub Guards

After 19 years of use, we finally replaced all of the bottom stub guards on the haybine. Now the blades are locked against the top sections. Do those top guards have to have the shims to raise them, or could you just use a 7/16th washer to raise the top guard to gain enough clearance. The old guards were so worn that we didn't need to use the shims.

If the slip clutch would let it turn, the blades rubbed so bad they began smoking.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
   / NH 492 Haybine with new Stump Guards #2  
Are you sure you got the right guards?? The ledgers should be parallel with the knives. Are the knives hitting the top or the bottom of the guards?

If just a few guards are not in a straight line, put a 1" metal pipe on them and bend them up or down to make the whole bar cutting line straight. You shouldn't need shims at all especially on the hold down clips. We're gonna need a picture or two to make any further diagnosis. Make sure the knife bushing is in good shape. If its slipped or worn, the knofe bar can mowe too far down.

/ NH 492 Haybine with new Stump Guards
I just realized they are called stub guards not stump guards. They are the correct guard and are hitting the top, high arch clamp down guard. I'll take some pictures tomorrw and post them.
Hopefully the pics will be a cut field of hay!

/ NH 492 Haybine with new Stump Guards #4  
NH on-line parts says there are at least 2 different guard part numbers. And that shims are used "on older models". Hope you saved at least one reasonably good guard to compare the knife areas. I put shims into mine last year because the backing plate was starting to look weak. That didn't work out well at all. She complained real loud and wore the shim tabs out in 5 minutes.