Newbie questions

/ Newbie questions #1  

jlb43

The only tractor I have ever owned is a JD GT225 which is basically a lawn mower. I have decided to move up the ladder and need some expert advise. From all the brands I have looked at I believe I will be buying a Mahindra. My questions are as follows.

The accessory that I would use most is no doubt a FEL. Probably the first job I want to do is to back fill a 70' retainer wall that I just had poured. There is no way to do this from the fill side as it is a very steep slope. Therefore it must be done from the front. The wall is just under 8' tall so my loader must be able to clear it and still allow me to dump. I do not plan to fill the bucket with the max it will hold and I will take my time. From the info in the brochures I have, the only tractor within my price range that seems able to perform this chore is the C35 with the ML 230 loader. I looked at the 2615 and it is nice. There seem to be plenty of you that agree. However I do not believe the loader goes high enough. I read a post here somewhere that if you want to use a loader then one should get 4WD and that may be true however the 2615 has industrial tires as opposed the the C35' bar tires and the C35 is 1000 lbs heavier with more hp. It seems to me that the traction issue should be moot. A more powerful, heavier tractor with I believe better gripping tires should be able to perform as well and perhaps better that one that is lighter, less powerful and with tires with less bite. Am I missing something? Any tips would sure be helpful as I don't want to make a big mistake.

Thanks

/ Newbie questions #2  
With a loader mfd is a must as far as I'm concerned. You can not just go by specs,they do not always equate the same in the real world!! On a perfectly dry level piece of ground a non-mfd loader tractor might work out,but in other than ideal conditions,you'll be glad for the extra drive axle. It will pull you through many instances where without it you could not even think of going. No matter how heavy you weighted the twd tractor up there is no comparison to useability between the two types of tractors. You might be able to get ag tires on the CUT.

/ Newbie questions #3  
I'd say that you definitely are missing something. I have a Mahindra 6500 with front wheel assist and fel. I recently used it to move dirt out of the road ditch to fill in holes left from stumps removed and also for smoothing out a steep bank next to the road. Without 4wd, I couldn't have done this. I pulled straight in the ditch and filled the bucket then slowly backed right up the ditch bank and back out of the ditch. I only have about 15 hrs on my 6500 but I am completly sold on the 4wd. Growing up on a farm we had a tractor which wasn't 4wd with a loader on it and it wouldn't do half what this can do with 4wd. Hope this helps and good luck.

/ Newbie questions
I appreciate your replies. I would hate to make a $15K mistake and buy a tractor I could not use. Unfortunately I don't see a 4wd Mahindra with a loader that has the reach I need (96") and is within my budget.

Thanks again for your input.

Jim

/ Newbie questions #5  
Max lift height on the ML106 for the 2615 tractor is listed at 96.5" just over your 96" requirement. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Newbie questions #6  
jlb, don't buy a tractor for what it you need it to do 1% of the time, buy it for the other 99%. You did not say what you plan to use it for after you backfill. You can rent a loader (or maybe a skidsteer) that will reach over the wall with a heavier load than a 3000# tractor.

As far as tractor configuration. If it has a FEL it must have mfd. I would not consider buying a 2 wheel FEL tractor.

/ Newbie questions #7  
I'll jump in here with a suggestion. Why don't you build a ramp out of old utility poles or railroad ties to drive up on and dump? It will only have to be about a foot high and wide enough for your tractor. Then you can move it with the tractor as you work your way down the length of the wall. You already stated that time is not a big issue. That way you can size the tractor more to the tasks that you will regularly perform and not the one time you need more lift height.
Leroy

/ Newbie questions
Thanks to all of you for your advise. I spent all day yesterday (and I do mean all day) visiting every tractor dealer within 75 miles of here to see what was available for what I want and can afford. I traveled on my bike and am now sunburned red as a beet. The results of all this was I had my new 3510 with FEL and box scraper delivered this morning. After I wrote the check and listened to the brief lesson on the controls I spent the next 3 hours digging, scraping and scooping in a part of my yard where I could not hurt anything. Now the top of my bald head is as red as the tractor. I have a lot to learn but I am loving it. I am sure I will have further questions as time goes by. By the way, I agree, 4wd with a loader is a must.

Thanks again

/ Newbie questions #9  
Congratulations!
Enjoy that new red tractor.

/ Newbie questions #10  
Congrats. That is one chunck of a tractor. Pictures are a must. A piece of advice, get a sombrero, ur uh sumbrare, ur uh a straw hat. You don't want to get canser in the future and it is a hole lot more comfy today.