New purchase questions CC 3204

/ New purchase questions CC 3204 #11  
All the 3000's that I have sold the decks didn't come very high off the ground, and like yours, the front wheels seemed to always be on the ground. Never had a customer complain about it, i think maybe just the weight of the whole deck lets it hang down low, but it "floats" up when you go to put it on a trailer or what have you. Good luck!

/ New purchase questions CC 3204 #12  
I have a 3240 with a 54" deck, my gauge goes almost all the way to 6 when fully lifted, and the wheels are definately off the ground. The gauge not being exact wouldn't be a big deal to me, I would just find where I like the grass cut and remember what the setting is, whether it's 2, 3, 5, whatever. It doesn't really need to translate to inches.

On the other hand, you did just pay a lot of money for it, and if it is important to you, you could take it back and ask that it be fixed. That's not at all unreasonable. I'd probably wiegh it out though, how important is it, how long do I want to be without my tractor, how much time do I want to spend talking to the dealer, driving back and forth, etc. Either way, good luck, and enjoy your new toy... er I mean tool /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New purchase questions CC 3204 #13  
I have a 3204 with both a 44" and 48" deck both caster wheels are clearly high enough off the ground (level ground)
when raised in its highest postion. I suggest you get somewhat familiar with the functionality of the machine -deck stops, high adjustments, etc..by looking at the manual which gives a decent description of what they do. I say this because these settings can change if you ever have to remove the deck, or just re-level it for the best cut, or change blades. The front bracket (deck hanger) should have about 1/2" thread showing at each threaded nut, with the secure nut locked in tight. The front casters are quick release and by pulling the snap clip you can raise the caster wheel height, I have mine on the top position. I use a John deere leveler tool (less than $10) which does a great job on assisting in blade height correctness.

Ducati

/ New purchase questions CC 3204
Here is an update. I'm supposed to pickup a new 3100 tomorrow in place of the original 3204. They seem to be the same animal when I looked at the specs. The 3204 a few more issue pop up that brought the dealer and myself to a consensus on trading it out for a new one. The deck on the 3100 definitely lifts the casters off the ground, so I'm happy on height now. They wanted me to keep my deck...but my 15year old had been studying the situation and advising that I push for the new deck so with his elbow grease, he cleaned up that old deck last night and have a clean deck sure came in handy when I asked to have the new deck. The store manager wanted to see my deck first, before agreeing to a swap. I don't know if I'll actually get any quality mowing tomorrow or not. I'm afraid the grass has gotten taller than I should mower without first breaking in the engine. And on that subject, I saw a more recent thread that talked about alternative filters for the Cubs....does anyone know the model I can pickup for this 3100 23hp Kohler? Thanks all for your comments!
Barry

/ New purchase questions CC 3204 #15  
Hi Barryk,

I'm confused as to why the situation called for a new machine?
wasnt it a deck adjustment issue, which by leveling the caster wheels correctly and limit deck stop would be all that is needed?

Ducati

/ New purchase questions CC 3204
Hi Ducati--
There is no easily quantifiable reason for the trade apart from the fact that neither the dealer nor I could get the deck to rise any higher, and in the process discovered several loose bolts and a bad grease zirk, in addition to a faulty fuel tank float. Combine that fodder with my desire to protect the money I had just outlaid and we have a potent situation. Needless to say, the store manager was frustrated both by the errors in setup on the tractor by CC and his staff, by the limited amount of time he had to deal with the issue, and by my persistence at seeing if the advertised height of 4 1/2 inches was verifiable on another model (as opposed the almost 3 1/2's of clearance I was getting with the 3204). Ultimately the store manager agree to let me compare the 3204 to another 3000 series and if they both had the same max deck height, then I would have to decide to cash out or keep the 3240, but if there was a difference then I could trade. When he uncrated the 2005 3100 and put on the new 54" deck we had 4 1/2 inches of air between the blade and the ground. We unloaded the 3204 from my truck and I am now waiting for the setup to be finished on the 2005 model. I hope it all ends happily. Perhaps I was too picky?
Barry

/ New purchase questions CC 3204 #17  
Not sure as to the cross-over filters however, while the unit is still under warranty I highly recommend shelling out the few extra dollars and putting Kohler/Cub filters on the unit..warranty issues mainly. Better to spend a little extra money on the filters then to have something happend to the motor and Kohler/Cub not warranty it due to you using non-specified filters. Good luck with your new Cub.

/ New purchase questions CC 3204 #18  
Hi BarryK, the 3100 is a nice machine, hope you enjoy it! I wouldn't worry too much about the grass being too tall. Just raise the deck all the way up and go really slow, then lower the deck to where you normally cut and go over it again. It might take a little longer, but hey, more seat time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Or, you mentioned a 15 year old... put him on it for the second round. As for the filters, I'll have to agree with gamble77 and advise to stay with CC brand.

You can check out this thread for some info on different filters if you like:

filters

Or Wix has a nice cross reference, although I didn't see the 3100 in the list.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index2.asp?Section=4&Make=&Model=&SubModel=&Engine=&Year=&TempSection=4

I recently picked up Wix filters for my 3240 and to tell you the truth I was a bit suprised that they were not really any cheaper than the CC brand. Also, be VERY careful when you go to change the tranny fluid. I'm not sure what kind your machine uses, check your manual or ask your dealer. Even doublecheck two dealers if you have to. I had a dealer tell me yesterday that my 3240 uses 20W50 oil for the tranny. Just to double check, I ask another dealer and found out that was not the case, and if I had used the 20W50, I would be "hating life". That was his exact words. Just got to be careful. Make sure you check the manual, it will not lie... (much) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck and enjoy your new toy... I mean tool.

/ New purchase questions CC 3204 #19  
Hi Barry,

I dont think you were picky at all - I just didnt see the severity until you described it in detail. The dealer setup I would think was the culprit....You still picked a great machine
I have a 3204, cant use it enough (**** rain)

Please post pictures if you can....

Duc