Oil & Fuel New PT418 with Cummins A900 3 cyl Diesel Engine!

/ New PT418 with Cummins A900 3 cyl Diesel Engine! #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
Well…not yet. However, I did notice that Cummins Engine has just launched a series of small Diesel engines. Check out this press release <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/mediaresources/pressreleases/pressrelease.cfm?uuid=000364D1-B5DC-199D-BAC280C4A8F00000>Cummins</A>.

A quote from the release: “The A900 is a three-cylinder design that delivers diesel dependability and durability with reduced maintenance. This 0.9 liter diesel features lower operating costs, higher equipment resale value and many times the life span of any gasoline engine, making it perfect for high-load, high-utilization applications. Plus, all A Series engines are fully backed by Cummins comprehensive two-year/ 2,000-hour warranty. Major components are covered out to three years/3,000 hours. The world’s largest parts and service network supports all Cummins engines.”

I don’t know about you, but I would love to see a PT with an A900. For reasons I won’t go into here, and that have already been hashed out elsewhere on this site, I prefer Diesel over Gas. The one issue that keeps me looking at the Orange tractors (besides resale value of course) is that great Kubota Diesel engine. I know you CAN get a Diesel with PT, but you have to upgrade to a larger tractor than I need.

A PT with an A900 would be the perfect match for the smaller Kubota’s. All the other intrinsic advantages of the PT design would offset the lack of a dealer network and, in my opinion, make PT a much stronger competitor in the “home owner" tractor segment. Plus, you would have a cool CUMMINS logo on the side of your PT to impress all your buddies. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ New PT418 with Cummins A900 3 cyl Diesel Engine! #2  
Marrt:
The diesel v. gas debate in tractors, and even more in boats, reaches religious proportions very quickly. I can argue either side with absolute conviction.
Have you called Power Trac yet to ask them when their Cummins powered prototype will be done? And to ask whether they've ever tested with a Kubota?
Let's see. I have a Kubota b7100 and Jacobsen Turf Cat II, with an 18 and a 22 hp Kubota each threatening to outlast the frame. Maybe PT has a 400 series machine that they'd sell without the engine, and with a smoke wrench and a couple of properly selected hammers we'd be in business.

/ New PT418 with Cummins A900 3 cyl Diesel Engine! #3  
hi marr,
great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we own two somewhat larger cummins equipped pu trucks, (1989 dodge 160, 000 miles and 2001 twenty four valve, 4x4 3/4 heavy duty package about 27,000 miles).

as indicated in other postings, i have asked the son in law of the owner of pt at many occasion when they are going to make a 400 series diesel option. one of the replies was, the cost of the engine.

well that 18 hp cummins looks mighty good!!!!!!!

/ New PT418 with Cummins A900 3 cyl Diesel Engine! #4  
well, I almost spit out my breakfast until I read the message. Don't do that /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ New PT418 with Cummins A900 3 cyl Diesel Engine! #5  
I thought it was a delayed April fool's joke! - Man, I was a little dissappointed to see it wasn't so (at least not yet!!)