New lawn/garden tractor advice

/ New lawn/garden tractor advice #1  

Cyb33r

Tractor
Shopping
I have 1/4 acre of lawn but part of my lawn is at a 20 degree slope. I would like to be able to pull a spreader, sweeper and dethatcher. I have 10 acres of pasture but also have a 60 hp tractor for any dirt work. I was looking at the xt2 gx54 d for the diff lock and the k62 transmission for the slope. I would like to keep the purchase around 4k or under. Is that the right way to go? Am I way over buying? Just wanted some help!

/ New lawn/garden tractor advice #2  
Careful what motor you get with Cub Cadet,some have the China built.Check a Simplicty Broadmore;a little more than 4K but should be a life-time unit.

/ New lawn/garden tractor advice #3  
The 54" mower is probably overkill for your yard. I had a 54" Craftsman but fine my new XT2 Cub Cadet at 42" much more maneuverable. The Cub dealer was rather proud of the fact that they now build their own engines - they are no known brand. Based on that I would say the nybirdman is probably quite correct. That would definitely limit any filters or repair parts to your Cub dealer. I'm only on my second season. It starts well and runs smoothly. It may outlive me as I don't know how long before I'm forced to move to town.

/ New lawn/garden tractor advice
I was worried about the k43 transmission in the lx line and mowing the slope. That is the only reason why I was sizing up to the GX 54 d was the k62 transmission.

/ New lawn/garden tractor advice #5  
Get a cub cadet xt3 with the much more powerful bdu 10l
transmission

Last edited:
   / New lawn/garden tractor advice #6  
I'm coming in a little late on this thread, but wanted to report a couple aspects of my newly purchased XT3 GSX that I'm a little disappointed in. I have a country lawn that probably needs some roller applications, but as of now, it's quite rough. The ride on my new mower is very harsh. I think part of the problem is that I'm not heavy enough (160 lbs.) to get much compression on the seat spring coils. There are others at the MyTractorforum talking about this same issue and doing various modifications to improve the seat including replacing it with a suspension seat. The other thing which I'm disappointed in is the jerk I get when letting off the reverse foot pedal, almost enough to give you whip lash. The dealer says there is no adjustment to alleviate that problem. Just a couple things you might want to check out before bringing one home. This occurs when you have made the selection on the ignition switch to allow the mower to continue to operate when backing up. I haven't tried it in the regular mode as I don't want the mower being disengage every time I back up.

/ New lawn/garden tractor advice #7  
I'm coming in a little late on this thread, but wanted to report a couple aspects of my newly purchased XT3 GSX that I'm a little disappointed in. I have a country lawn that probably needs some roller applications, but as of now, it's quite rough. The ride on my new mower is very harsh. I think part of the problem is that I'm not heavy enough (160 lbs.) to get much compression on the seat spring coils. There are others at the MyTractorforum talking about this same issue and doing various modifications to improve the seat including replacing it with a suspension seat. The other thing which I'm disappointed in is the jerk I get when letting off the reverse foot pedal, almost enough to give you whip lash. The dealer says there is no adjustment to alleviate that problem. Just a couple things you might want to check out before bringing one home. This occurs when you have made the selection on the ignition switch to allow the mower to continue to operate when backing up. I haven't tried it in the regular mode as I don't want the mower being disengage every time I back up.
I agree. I weigh 185 and I have some very rough areas in my 1 acre yard and my XT3 GSX bounces pretty hard. I like to think that it helps to keep me from forming kidney stones and dislodges them. The Hydro pedals do stop suddenly (you never need the brake pedal) but after you get accustomed to it the pedal control will become second nature. I think most Hydros are similar. My 1450, 3235 and current XT3 all stopped like hitting a brick wall if you suddenly pushed the pedal to neutral position.
Bob B.