New Idea Model 402 Hay Rake Problems

/ New Idea Model 402 Hay Rake Problems #1  

mandrews9

Tractor
New Holland T4.100
I had to replace the belt on my New Idea hay rake. It is a round belt instead of a V- or hexagon belt. I cannot get it to stay on the rake. Every time I start to rake the belt flies off and I have to put it on, tighten it and start to rake again, it just come off in no time. The drive pulleys are somewhat rusted, does that have an effect? What can I do to fix this problem?

/ New Idea Model 402 Hay Rake Problems #2  
Take a look here :

New idea hay rake - YouTube

What I would do is watch from behind while somebody else operates the rake.

BTW: I would say that a standard V belt would do the job easily. I've had several machines where V-belts make turns, go off angle and seem to work just fine (NH1012 Stack Wagon). Your pulleys can handle it, IMHO.

obviously the belt tension id too low, or there is a nick or flatspot on a pulley, or there is a serious misalignment somewhere (Pulley reversed??)

/ New Idea Model 402 Hay Rake Problems #3  
I have a Ford 513 which is a rebadged New Idea. After replacing my round (very expensive) belt I too had problems with it jumping off. Come to find out I had accidentally routed it incorrectly. It seemed correct but it wasn't. Anyway, my advice it to recheck your routing. Those round belts are too expensive to mess up. And the way my rake worked, I dont believe a v belt would work based on the pulleys and the extreme routing. Good luck.