Loader New Holland 7108 Bucket Cylinder - Please Help

/ New Holland 7108 Bucket Cylinder - Please Help #1  

johnny1720

Tractor
Ford 1720
I searched and searched the internet and I was unable to find my answer. How do I get these apart. The 都pinner thing came off with little struggle. Now I have nothing to grab onto to get the ram out.

/ New Holland 7108 Bucket Cylinder - Please Help #2  
How about a little air pressure with a blow gun, but do not shoot it through a wall.

/ New Holland 7108 Bucket Cylinder - Please Help
OK this is what I am left with, the spanner nut came off and fell below. I see this 5/16" hole and it appears to be cast about 1/4" deep. I think there might be a retaining clip that is supposed to come out of this hole but I can't see anything. I can pull the ram out and push it in with little to no resistance.

IMG_8218.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8219.JPG
    IMG_8219.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 485
OK this is what I am left with, the spanner nut came off and fell below. I see this 5/16" hole and it appears to be cast about 1/4" deep. I think there might be a retaining clip that is supposed to come out of this hole but I can't see anything. I can pull the ram out and push it in with little to no resistance.

View attachment 586978

Attachments

• IMG_8218.JPG
    IMG_8218.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 150
   / New Holland 7108 Bucket Cylinder - Please Help #5  
Can you tell if that small hole is threaded? If it is, it may have an Allen wrench set screw at the bottom, which needs to be backed out to release the "head" of the piston.

Can you tell if that small hole is threaded? If it is, it may have an Allen wrench set screw at the bottom, which needs to be backed out to release the "head" of the piston.

It does not appear to be threaded, I pulled the cylinders completely off the tractor and I am contemplating taking them to be repacked. I literally spent 3 hours on this simple task today.

/ New Holland 7108 Bucket Cylinder - Please Help #7  
Using a brass drift drive the gland (part with the exposed male threads) down into the barrel. This will expose an internal retaining ring sitting in a groove in the barrel bore. Retrieve the retaining ring and pull the rod and piston out with the gland. Be careful to not damage the threads on the gland.

Using a brass drift drive the gland (part with the exposed male threads) down into the barrel. This will expose an internal retaining ring sitting in a groove in the barrel bore. Retrieve the retaining ring and pull the rod and piston out with the gland. Be careful to not damage the threads on the gland.

RickB I will do this as soon as I can, what you are saying makes complete sense.

Thank you

RickB the one cylinder worked exactly as you described and I was able to rebuild one. I had a few issues putting the deals on the "piston" they gave me this red seal and I guess it was larger than seal I took off so it would not fit back into the tube. I ended up ruining the seal but luckily I don't think that seal was leaking. I am praying that I can get the other cylinder open and save that seal so I get it up and running. We have a snow storm headed this way and I need the tractor to clear the snow.

Ok here is a quick update,

I ruined the red seal in the first rebuild kit that I purchased. I ordered a new kit and I was still unable to crack open the other cylinder. What I had to do was tighten the spanner nut on the end of the cylinder until it spun. Then I jammed a drill bit into the small hole and held it and took off the spanner. Then the whole gland went back into the cylinder.

Thank you everyone for your help, no leaks.