new bx1800 or used b1550?

/ new bx1800 or used b1550? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've never owned a tractor before and I'm looking for my first. I am currently considering either a new BX1800 with a loader for $9,995 or a used B1550 with a kubota loader for $7000.

The B1550 has low hours, I don't recall the number but the dealer is advertising it as being like new, and from the looks of the bucket and the tires it hasn't seen any harsh duty. I think it has a gear transmission.

What would your choice be and why?

Thanks

/ new bx1800 or used b1550? #2  
burnin, I don't know a lot about the B1550, but I'd consider it to be a comparable sized engine; probably a pretty good little tractor. But does it have power steering and 4WD. I think you'll find most of us would not want a front end loader on a 2WD in a small tractor, and of course, the hydrostatic transmission is so much faster, safer, and easier to operate. I guess you just have to decide whether it's worth the cost difference. The best thing to do is drive both of them, and try moving a bucket load of dirt in the front end loader if possible, before deciding.

Bird

/ new bx1800 or used b1550?
I'd also chip in that you may have to move more than a couple buckets of dirt if you are used to a gear tractor as the HST operated backwards (pedal wise) and takes some getting used to. I'm now mentally able to go from one to other but my initial use of the HST was horrible, if my L35 had been available with HST I probably wouldn't have chosen the HST, but now after using the BX it's the only way to go.

And the power steering the BX is fingertip, even with a load in the bucket. It's cute little wide baby-ag tires have a lot of traction. It is low to the ground for stability which may be a drawback if you are goin' muddin'. On slopes I am much more comfortable doing things than on the L35, even though the L35 probably would tip after the BX! To me the BX has a tremendous heart and doesn't give up a battle. Seems to do most jobs without any strain at all, which goes against it's looks. When I jump off of the L35 and on to the BX I don't feel at all I'm on an underpowered beast. True I can't push over trees and move boulders, but it really is a great little machine. The B1550 may be too, I think I saw one of those, if it's what I'm thinking of it may be even smaller than the BX!

/ new bx1800 or used b1550? #4  
I would recommend the BX over the B1550 for a new user, especially if the B1550 is a 2wd. You didn't give a lot of detail about your intended uses; however, consider how these statements apply to your situation:

The B1550 is the baby of the 1550/1750/2150 series. I believe that they were introduced in the late 1980s (1989?). The B1550 has a 17 hp 3-cylinder engine with 14 PTO hp (gear drive) and 13 PTO hp (hydrostatic). It does not have the "flat deck" design. My brochure didn't address steering but I'm pretty sure that all three of the xx50 series has power steering as standard equipment. The B1550s main advantage over the BX1800 centers around the 3 point hitch (see discussion below). I was going to add in loader performance but after reviewing the specifications listed in the brochures I find that the loaders are nearly even overall (example: breakout force: BX=950lbs B1550=970lbs). The hydraulic flow rates are better (higher) on the BX thereby giving faster movement of the loader.

I have a B2150 and my B1550 comments will be relative to that tractor. The main thing I don't like about the B2150 is the fact that the mid-PTO and the rear-PTO cannot be operated independently of each other (they're either both ON or both OFF). Other than that I really like the B2150 (even though I'd like a flat deck better...).

The BX1800 will have the advantage of being more "user friendly"; it has the flat deck design, more engine horsepower and about the same PTO horsepower with a quieter engine design. It'll also have a warranty that could come in handy. The main disadvantage of the BX so far appears to be the short arms on the 3 point hitch. If you plan to use a lot of different 3-point equipment you'll want to check that issue out.

Hope this helps...
Kelvin

/ new bx1800 or used b1550? #5  
Are you sure about that price for the BX WITH loader?? Seems awful low to me. If I could get a new tractor at that price, I would jump on it in preference to the 1550.
Well after I wrote this post I went to Carvers add, and there right before my eyes is the BX with loader for 10 grand. Amazing.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by PaulB on 8/19/00 06:58 AM.</FONT></P>

/ new bx1800 or used b1550? #6  
They do have a lot of bang for the buck, and that’s what is probably attracting a lot of buyers. When I was pricing tractors, there were bigger, more powerful units in the same price range, but they required giving up too much for a lazy, old man (HST, PS and of course, the cup holder). Who knows, the next generation of tractors may have something the size of a lawn tractor, muscle of a tank, and priced under $5k. (Of course, the down side is that our old units won’t be worth much then, but we’ll still love ‘em, and smile about how much we got done while others were waiting).

/ new bx1800 or used b1550? #7  
My advise is to go for the new BX if its not a problem to swing the extra $$, one trip to the shop with a costly repair with the used 1550 and it could make up the difference. You will also have a new machine with power steering and HST tranny and have no worries about the previous service life of the tractor as with the used one.
I recently just purchased my first brand new tractor ( all my previous have been used ) and it is a great feeling knowing you have a warranty and you are the first owner.
and the other nagging worry of a used tractor ( if you dont know who had it previously ) is why they got rid of it and does it it have problems that were half patched up just to get by long enough to get rid of it? A friend of mine would never spend the money for a new tractor but at the same time he knows AG machinery well and one of the things he says will make him walk away from a tractor he is shopping is if he sees painted hoses / belts, he says if they couldent take the time to paint it right what else is not done right? Bottom line is you have to go with what you feel most comfortable with.