Need ideas for cheap grass rake implement!

/ Need ideas for cheap grass rake implement! #1  

bnixon

Gold Member
Tractor
TC33D / 7308 ldr 60" HD bucket
Hey all,

Been a while since I have posted. Good to talk with all of you again!

I need to make a inexpensive rake to rake up several acres of grass clippings. I am cutting it with my RFM and need to cut it every week to maintain it (In the growing season). My probelm is that there is so much cut grass laying on top that the mower boggs.

I know a landscape rake would work but don't have the $400+ to spend on one right now so I am looking for a home made alternative!

Need your help! I was thinking of making something that I could attach to the rear of my RFM after I finish mowing. Just drag it around to collect the clippings.

It would need to attach to the tubing that supports the rear wheels with pins for easy removal.

Any ideas or has anyone made something to do this?

thanks for the help and it is good to be back on the board!

/ Need ideas for cheap grass rake implement! #2  
I think that "less than $400" and "a rake for several acres" don't go together in the same sentence. I cannot imagine a RFM used every week would leave grass clippings that would "bogg" down the RFM the following week. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Possibly consider a mulching system added to your RFM or mowing twice to break the grass down to workable size. If you are getting clumping, then maybe just a drag tooth harrow pulled behind would break up the clumps. My answer to that would be to set the mower deck up so it doesn't clump or change brands of RFM.

I too would like a "lawn size" side delivery rake (about 4')such as used on hay fields. I think it would be good in the Spring to "de-thatch" the lawn. Also in the fall to windrow leaves, and to handle wet leaves in the fall or spring. It would need to be powered to do a good job, and not the "spoked wheel type" estate rakes, which are next to worthless (IMO).

Possibly you could find a "retired" hay rake and collect your grass. At some point, the grass will have to be carried off the field, no matter what you use to collect it.

/ Need ideas for cheap grass rake implement!
beenthere,

Im sorry, I didn't make myself clear on this.

This is the first time it has been mowed at a yard like height. In the previous years it has been mowed with the deck at full height. I am trying now to get a more yard like appearance out of it so I am lowering the deck down.

This being said....The grass on the ground is still there from the first time I mowed it three weeks ago(about 2-2 1/2 feet tall at the time).

You are correct in that once I get to the point of mowing it more often the need should not be there. But for now I have to get the old clippings out.

thanks for the feedback,

/ Need ideas for cheap grass rake implement! #4  
It's a little late but mowing multiple times at lower height each pass would have been better.
If the grass sets and dries out it will chop up easier.
Raise mower and go over it to chop up the old grass.
U could use mower to windrow the grass into strips then pick up by hand.

/ Need ideas for cheap grass rake implement! #5  
I suggest the easiest for you, and the cheapest is to just keep mowing it on the schedule that keeps up with the new grass coming up, and the "old" grass will take care of itself. More of a question of patience, than of having to spend any time and money on some tool that won't do much for the situation.

Granted, a lawn rake for grass would be a good tool to have, but I suspect there are good reasons a good lawn rake isn't available to us - and its cost would likely be one of the two, the other being it hasn't been invented yet. Lick those two and you could be rich and famous. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Need ideas for cheap grass rake implement! #6  
I'm surprised your mower is bogging down.. what are you using?. Try cutting a smaller strip, or raise the deck. Eventually, it will be manageable once you cut it a few more times.

Soundguy

/ Need ideas for cheap grass rake implement! #7  
Drive slower and lift up the mower every once and a while to clear clippings from the rfm

/ Need ideas for cheap grass rake implement!
Well I finally figured out the problem.

After doing the maintenance routine on the mower (sharpening the blades, greasing, ........) I found that the belts were loose. After tightning the belts it cuts fine. I still would like to get the cut grass up. It looks bad with all of the dead grass laying on top. But not as much of a problem as it was.

thanks for the feedback,

/ Need ideas for cheap grass rake implement! #9  
You might want to mow it north/south on the highest setting. Then mow it again, the same day, going over the clippings, in the east/west direction. May have to do this several times to get rid of the really big stuff. Keep mowing it at the highest settings for a few weeks until you don't get large windrows or clumps anymore. Then lower it one notch and mow like normal. Every couple of weeks lower it one more notch until you get it to the desired height. Then all you have to remember to do is not cut more than 1/3 the height of the grass at any given time. For instance, if you want to keep your grass 3 inches tall, you should cut it when it gets to 4.5". I've found that it takes me less total time to cut the grass twice a week, taking 1.5" off each time, than it does mowing once a week, taking 3" off in one pass. And the grass looks better, too. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif