my Ingersoll

/ my Ingersoll #11  
Too late! all done. But it does still look good.

/ my Ingersoll #12  
Paul (that is your name, no?) -

You're right -- it does still look good. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I love before and after picts, so I had to see your 2 shots together (attached).

Hope you don't mind.

HarvSig4.gif

/ my Ingersoll #13  
Harv,

Great idea! How did you do that? I have Microsoft Photo Editor but I can't find a way to put more than one picture on a page.

Paul's wife Michele

/ my Ingersoll #14  
Michele -

I ran a small "digital photo restoration" business for a year or so. Didn't make enough profit (too dang time-consuming) to continue, but I learned a heck of a lot about Adobe Photoshop -- my main tool.

With Photoshop, and probably others, you can scale each picture to the size you want, then set the page or "canvas" size large enough on one of them to hold the others. From there you can just copy and paste them into one collage.

I post more than my fair share of pictures, so I try to be mindful not only of the image size on the screen, but the total file size, out of respect for download times and disk storage space. I think Muhammad recommended a picture width of 720 pixels or less.

One more way to enjoy our tractors. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig4.gif

/ my Ingersoll #15  
Harv:

I've played a little with photo manipulation software and have trouble in one (at least) area: To copy the Kubota image into the other one, you had to somehow mask out everything BUT the Kubota from it's original.

I know how to do color masking but that only works for one color so it doesn't work for something orange with black tires (for example). Do you mask out the tractor manually? or ... how? (simple explanation so as not to bore those not interested...)

Just curious.

WVBill

/ my Ingersoll #16  
WVBill -

<font color=blue>simple explanation so as not to bore those not interested...</font color=blue>

Nothing bores our TractorByNet readers ..... right?

Hello? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Anyhoo, the answer about photo image masking is simple -- it's a ***** (computer techno term). You can spend hundreds of dollars just for a Photoshop plugin that attempts to make it a little easier, but there's always a fair amount of hand labor involved.

If the subject you want is nicely contrasted against a solid background, there are tricks you can do with contrast tools, but such pictures are usually taken in a studio to start with. For normal stuff, however, you simply have to trace the edges by hand with a pen or lasso type of tool. To do a good job is quite time-consuming.

Not much more I can tell you without really getting into it.

HarvSig4.gif

/ my Ingersoll #17  
Well, Harv, you're very good at manual photo masking! I can't see anything at all of the original image outside of the tractor.

By the way, I just realized that this discussion of masking has nothing at all to do with how you created the before & after picture in this thread. Masking is how you cut and paste the image of the Kubota into the monster-machine pictures. Apparently I was trying to not only bore everyone to death, but confuse the heck out of them in the process..... maybe I only confused myself...

WVBill