My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ?

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #11  
When I turn it on it just starts dumping hyd-fluid from that same spot pictured. I can't drive it as the hydrostat trans --> driveshaft (I'm presuming here) has no power... (no spinning shaft at this point) BTW it only has 452 hours on it. But then again w/ equipment, it's just a matter of time. Wish I could have gotten more than a few minutes to get acquainted with it though.

Tis a learning process & with all the equipment that I have one would think that I'd be more well versed, I thank you all for these 'crash courses' in diesel tech / nuts & bolts - trying to learn as fast as I possibly can...

Your first photo shows about the lowest point just behind the HST unit and there are many potential leak points above it, for example leak from: loose HST oil filter, leaky HST oil cooling lines connection O-rings and few other oil line connections would likely end up running down to the ground from right there.

Any updates?

This photo shows basically just the bare HST / 2 - speed range selector unit / differential, without the above lines & side frames and main frames in place yet.

IMG_5350.JPG

Last edited:
   / My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #12  
Does your seat have a latch that will let it hinge up so you can get to the top of the unit were the filter is?
I wouldn't expect a seal to drop that much oil, I'll agree with more likely a line or hose or the filter.

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #13  
F3060 has no such seat latch, but the seat can be removed by opening four bolts - however filter can be accessed without seat removal.

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #14  
My old F2000 has a simple latch and the seat will flip up forward to access the fill and filter.

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #15  
Does your seat have a latch that will let it hinge up so you can get to the top of the unit were the filter is?
I wouldn't expect a seal to drop that much oil, I'll agree with more likely a line or hose or the filter.

There are many O-ring seals and there is enough (low) pressure hydraulic pump oomph that it can pump out lot of fluid, if for example the hydraulic oil filter was loose.

Hydraulic Circuit.png

I have seen few photos of F2000, but other than that I am not too familiar with it.

Since you asked, here are couple of photos showing F3060 access to HST oil filter and oil fill opening.

IMG_5840.JPG
IMG_5842.JPG
IMG_5841.JPG

There is another large debris screen in front of the HST cooler / radiator which I removed before taking this photo!

Last edited:
   / My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #16  
So nothing from the OP as too what was going on.

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #17  
I like the F3990’s, except for the DPF…
Like my F3680 with no DPF better

Last edited:
   / My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #18  
My F2000 still does a good job, and it's an 86 or 87 model so 26 years old.