MS1209 - wassat???

/ MS1209 - wassat??? #1  

phantom309

Silver Member
Howdy TBN'ers.

Went down to the CASE/International dealer this weekend to purchase new filters and lube for my "new" tractor. Bought CASE 30W oil, but will check into running DELO like I do in my diesel trucks.

But I don't know what to think about the hydraulic/tranny lube that CASE recommends. They sell a lube which is supposed to meet some "MS1209" specs. What the heck is that?

With many lubes, you can just check the API specs on the "proprietary" jug of oil and then match that to a common brand. But I didn't get to actually see the lube in question, and all the parts guy volunteered was "MS1209"?

Does that ring a bell anywhere?

Next time I'm out there, I'll see if I can lay my hands on a jug of the lube.

Thanks.

Mark

Added in edit: The I&T manual I'd ordered for my tractor came in today! It shows that my tractor requires 36 quarts of "Hy-Tran Plus". That's not a lot of help. Sounds like their proprietary name. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ MS1209 - wassat??? #2  
MS1209 is a CASE specified hydraulic oil formula. The trade name is Hy-Tran Ultra hydraulic fluid. Doing a yahoo search on ms 1209 or hy-tran ultra shows that there are a few other brands (Chevron, Mobil) that meet or exceed the ms1209 spec.

/ MS1209 - wassat???
Thanks for the input rlw,

Since your note, I've looked around and have found lone local supplier of a lube that meets the MS1209 spec:

MYSTIC JT-5 Universal Trans-Hydraulic Fluid.

$32.00 for five gallon tub at local farm store.

Mark