Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started

/ Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started #11  
How has the setup been working out?

I've got the same little Takeuchi and been thinking about getting a mower for it. It would be the smallest mower I've got, except the billy goat, but I think I could send a guy out to take care of a lot of small jobs with it and get better productivity.

/ Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started #12  
I’ll revive this thread. I finally got myself a mulching head. It’s a 2022 FAE BL1/EX 075. I’m running it on a 2011 Kubota KX121-3 with 1200hrs. I’ve got about 12 hours on the head so far, you definitely know it’s out there, but after getting used to it, it works very well. I can reach all the way out and up with it, just need to go easy. I’m real happy with it! Far better than my 3 point hitch Ferri TD42 boom mounted flail head on the tractor. Apples to oranges as to heads, I’m just saying the control you get with the excavator. I may add a bolt on quick attach plate to my Ferri TIL100 flail head and seeing about running it on the excavator. It would be perfect for grass, weeds and light brush. I need to look into flow requirements etc.

IMG_6506.JPG
IMG_6524.JPG
IMG_7821.JPG

Last edited:
   / Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started #13  
That's a real nice mulcher head. About $25k? Are you able to use your thumb while the mulcher head is running?

/ Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started #14  
I’ll revive this thread. I finally got myself a mulching head. It’s a 2022 FAE BL1/EX 075. I’m running it on a 2011 Kubota KX121-3 ...

You are Happy, and I am JEALOUS!

I've been considering a mulcher head for my KX040-4, which is very similar to your KX.

Any comments on your KX handling the weight and hydraulic performance would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the VT option on the mulcher? And of the hydraulic front/rear doors?

ANY comments would be of great interest.

Joel

/ Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started #15  
That's a real nice mulcher head. About $25k? Are you able to use your thumb while the mulcher head is running?

I paid $21k just for the head as it sits. I only have one set of auxiliary hydraulics, so no, it’s one or the other. If I ever get a new machine it’ll definitely have two sets of auxiliaries!

/ Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started #16  
You are Happy, and I am JEALOUS!

I've been considering a mulcher head for my KX040-4, which is very similar to your KX.

Any comments on your KX handling the weight and hydraulic performance would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the VT option on the mulcher? And of the hydraulic front/rear doors?

ANY comments would be of great interest.

Joel

Hey Joel,
Your machine has 1 GPM more hydraulic flow than mine, weight should be about the same. The machine handles the weight of the head fine, but you have to go easy with it. I got the non VT head, because of flow requirements, 13 GPM for non VT, 17 GPM for VT. One dealer highly recommended VT, the other non VT. I spoke to FAE’s service department directly and made my decision based on that discussion. A friend of mine has the same head as mine on a KX057, he’s very happy with it as well. It has the hydraulic rear door (controlled through a diverter), no front door.

/ Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started #17  
Hey Joel,
Your machine has 1 GPM more hydraulic flow than mine, weight should be about the same. The machine handles the weight of the head fine, but you have to go easy with it. I got the non VT head, because of flow requirements, 13 GPM for non VT, 17 GPM for VT. One dealer highly recommended VT, the other non VT. I spoke to FAE’s service department directly and made my decision based on that discussion. A friend of mine has the same head as mine on a KX057, he’s very happy with it as well. It has the hydraulic rear door (controlled through a diverter), no front door.

The VT's marketing is unclear to me. Supposedly it helps reduce the mulcher from bogging down, but it requires more hydraulic flow to function. Happy, I'll send you a PM so as to not hijack this thread.

Are you running 2 or 3 hydraulic lines to the mulcher motor?

Any videos of the mulcher in use?! :)

/ Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started #18  
I also have a KX040 and wonder how well it would do with a mulcher. Personally I would like more reach and have been looking at trading up.

/ Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started #19  
The VT's marketing is unclear to me. Supposedly it helps reduce the mulcher from bogging down, but it requires more hydraulic flow to function. Happy, I'll send you a PM so as to not hijack this thread.

Are you running 2 or 3 hydraulic lines to the mulcher motor?

Any videos of the mulcher in use?! :)

I’m using the two lines for the thumb and I had to run a case drain back to the hydraulic tank, there’s also a wiring harness to run.

/ Mowing with a Mini Excavator - Help me get started #20  
I also have a KX040 and wonder how well it would do with a mulcher. Personally I would like more reach and have been looking at trading up.

You can definitely do it with the KX040, but you’ll do more with a KX057, you’d be happier with the latter. You can also order it set up with 2 sets of hydraulic remotes, which I highly recommend.