Mowing mower deck lube

/ mower deck lube #1  

Scott_F

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
What's your personal schedule for lubing the spindles on the mower deck? Terry at PT suggested using "high-speed" grease on the mower during my service training, but I don't recall what he said about how often I should do it.

Scott

/ mower deck lube #2  
Scott, what do you mean by "high speed grease"?
PJ

/ mower deck lube
PJ,
Terry at Power Trac said there is a special type of grease for applications where the thing being greased turns at high speed and generates lots of heat (like mower spindles). I guess it's not supposed to break down under heat like "normal" grease, which he said was fine for everthing else on the PT. I have not looked for "high-speed" grease, so I don't know how hard (or easy) it is to find yet.

Scott

/ mower deck lube #4  
Interesting this should come up as a thread. I just got back from my local dealer with a couple tubes of Kubota high temperature grease for just that purpose. I don't recall if the tube said high speed but it did say water resistant.

/ mower deck lube #5  
Scott:
I bought some Amsoil racing grease that is supposed to be high temp, high speed. (It is expensive, of course, but they sell it on the web and send it to my door.)
Since I can't see the grease coming out, I have just started greasing the spindles between uses. Hans reported that the spindles take a fair amount of grease after eight hours of use. My typical use is about three hours, and I put in whatever amount is twenty squeezes on my pistol grip gun.

/ mower deck lube
<font color=red>I bought some Amsoil racing grease that is supposed to be high temp, high speed. (It is expensive, of course, but they sell it on the web and send it to my door.)</font color=red>
Charlie,
Do you have a link to the web site where you buy it?
Thanks,
Scott

/ mower deck lube
<font color=blue>I don't recall if the tube said high speed but it did say water resistant.</font color=blue>

Hmmm. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gifI would have thought that all grease was "water resistant". You know, that old "oil and water" thing. Sometimes I'm as befuddled by all the different types of grease as I am by all the different types of shampoo. Is there really that much difference?
Scott

/ mower deck lube #8  
Scott:

The Amsoil link is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.amsoil.com/> AMSOIL </A>

Just follow the instructions to their "store"