Montana LG3840

/ Montana LG3840 #1  

JoeCap

Greetings!!! It's so good to see all these Happy Montana owners, wish my experience was the same. Great Site! My tractor has been nickling and diming me. Now I have no reverse and the PTO when engaged bog my engine down. Does the Hydraulic fluid that serves the PTO have anything to do with the clutch that operates the transmission. Can no reverse and the PTO problem be related? Hope to gain good info, seen some good maintenance ideas that I could use. Had some of the same issues with my tractor. Bolts that support the FEL broke in the beginning. Engine always seemed to run hot! Hope I can get the tractor healty again. With only 300 hrs way to many problems for me. Wouldn't recommend Montana because of that. Local service on this brand is almost non existance in Central Florida. Dealer went out of business.

/ Montana LG3840 #2  
Sorry to hear of your problems. I'm spoiled, I guess, as I have had no problems with my 2740 in 3 years/200 hrs, and I have an excellent dealer 10 miles from me. Sounds like a linkage adjustment is needed with the shifting problem, similar to the old column shifters on cars. I don't know much about the 3840, but the clutch is dry on the 2740, meaning oil in transmission/pto would have no affect on clutch operation. The brakes, however are 'wet'. They do operate within the oil of the transmission/final drive. Here's a long shot: Could the transmission have been filled with the wrong fluid at some point? Maybe someone put 80-90w gear oil in there? Mine has UTF (universal tractor fluid) in all boxes, including the front differential. Not sure if the hydraulics would even operate with 90w, but it would sure cause things to bog down. Another thing, you said your FEL bolts broke early on. I would check ALL bolts on the chassis, especially those between the bell housing and transmission. I would do that with a torque wrench, as a lot of times these will feel or feel tight only to have them loosen up when you tighten them a bit. Re/ cooling, shouldn't need it yet, but tight valves on an engine can cause overheating, as if they can't close tight, they can't tranfer combustion heat back to the head. Check engine timing also. Is your machine still on warranty? (3 years). I would call another dealer or Montana directly for answers. You have a lot of money tied up in a new machine that should be working (playing) flawlessly for many years yet. Good luck, Merry Christmas, and a better new year.....Dan.

/ Montana LG3840 #3  
Does anyone know how does the forward reverse shaft line up to the linkage of the shift fork, had to change some gears in the transmission and can't seem to be able to line up the linkage pics and manuals I have don't show how they line up been playing with this for a few hrs now.
Thanks