mixing turf and farm tires

/ mixing turf and farm tires #1  

paradox998

Tractor
JD 4500
I have a JD 4500 with farm tires Rt1. The front tires are tearing up my meadow when I turn. Can I mix turf tires on front and leave the farm tires on the rear? I do need traction on some hilly areas so I do not want to go to all turf tires. Tractor is 4wd.

Thanks

/ mixing turf and farm tires #3  
Even rolling radius is arbitrary, but common practice is to have the fronts "lead" the rears. That has everything to do with gear ratios in the drive line.

On hard surfaces, do not use 4WD it crowds the gears.

eta, I'm looking for turfs on the front of the Hurlimann 435 for the same reason you stated.

/ mixing turf and farm tires #5  
Try swapping your front wheels so the front R1 tires are running backwards, it may help you on turns and you should still have front traction for the hills.

/ mixing turf and farm tires #6  
Try swapping your front wheels so the front R1 tires are running backwards, it may help you on turns and you should still have front traction for the hills.
This is what I did and it seems to help. Also is supposed to help with tread wear if you drive regularly on the road.

/ mixing turf and farm tires
Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it. I will try the 4wd idea, and then try switching the front tires.

/ mixing turf and farm tires #8  
I have a JD 4500 with farm tires Rt1. The front tires are tearing up my meadow when I turn. Can I mix turf tires on front and leave the farm tires on the rear? I do need traction on some hilly areas so I do not want to go to all turf tires. Tractor is 4wd.

Thanks
I had a small tractor with R4s front and rear. I wanted rear traction and since R1s are usually thinner than the R4s on the rear I had to buy new, thinner wheels too. Just do as others have said and read the specs on the different tires published on the www in different places.

Remember the front tires need to do the pulling so they will need to be about 4% give or take larger than the rears in rolling circumference. However, since R1s usually have a higher lug you need to realize that depending on the surface....road or soft field, that rolling resistance will vary more for the rears than the fronts.

Considering in the field will matter the most then that lead function needs to based more on the carcass measurements than on the tread circumference. Talking to your local farm tire dealer should help a lot.