Metal Roofing Tips?

/ Metal Roofing Tips? #11  
No you’re not dense and no you’re not missing anything. But comparing a house roof to a 21,500 sf building is like comparing a JD 4300 to a JD LT166. They’re completely different animals.

I don’t know much about your building but if I were bidding on it I don’t think I would plan on completing the job in four days. That’s alot of area to cover in four days. I’m sure there is someone out there that can do it I just wonder how many men (or women) they would put on the job. Are you using a 3’ wide exposed fastener panel? This could account for some of the speed of the installation.

I did this job several years ago. It’s about 100,000 sf of metal roofing. It took over four months to complete. Its only 4 times bigger than your building, but look at the time difference. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ripariusconstruction.com/portfolio/item.asp?S=16&I=32>Metal Roof Link</A>

A house roof will normally take two or three days to complete depending on the size of the roof. We run three man crews on our jobs. On a typical house (6/12 pitch) with dormers, valleys and hips, etc. I figure a crew will run 15-20 squares of shingles on in a day complete with all flashings.

I worked up a price for the house I’m building. Its about 50 squares and will run about $135/square. That doesn’t include the felt (the builder is installing as he installs the plywood sheeting). The pitch on my roof is 12/12, which requires the shingles be installed off jacks and planks. I’m installing a 40 year shingle.

The cost of $150/square is for new construction and should cover most typical installations including felt, flashings and drip edge. If you are tearing off an existing roof you’ve got to add approximately $75/square. Every job is different so use these figures as a guide only.

As far as hail goes, when a metal roof is peppered with hail it will leave many dents in the roof but will not fail. It doesn’t destroy the roof but aesthetically it’s not the same. In heavy hail storms the shingles will get torn up and the metal roofs will be dented. For the average homeowner carrying a $250 deductible on his insurance replacing the roof is a no brainer. Most metal roofs are in commercial and agricultural applications. The farmers don’t care (much) that the roof looks like a golf ball and the commercial businesses don’t want to shell out for their huge deductibles to fix a little cosmetic damage.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the look of metal on houses. If my budget had allowed I would have put metal on my house. I would have installed a standing seam roof panel over the exposed fastener type. I still don’t like the idea of running all those screws through a perfectly good roof panel.

/ Metal Roofing Tips? #12  
KipHorn,

Thanks for the great info on roofs. Hopefully I'll be able to build my house this year and I'm torn between using a metal or asphalt shingles. This helps quite a bit.

I was confused by your comment about hail storms and roofs but you have a good point about the insurance. A few years ago a major hail storm went through Orlando, Florida. The insurance companies paid out 100's of millions of dollars for new roofs and new cars. I know two if not three of my family's houses had to have new roofs installed because of the hail. One of my cousins had her car outside during the storm and it looked like someone had beaten the sheet metal with a ball peen hammer for hours..... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Not a pretty site. So I guess a metal roof would have looked the same.....

Thanks...
Dan McCarty