Max 24 no start / white smoke

/ Max 24 no start / white smoke #1  

kas64

Tractor
Kawasaki Mule 610 , Mahindra Max24
I hope someone has an idea of what I can try for this tractor. I bought it a little over a year ago as a 'new-old stock unit'.
It currently has 35 hrs on it and has been progressively becoming harder and harder to start until recently when it refused to start at all.
Exhaust belches white smoke until/if it starts.
Below is what I've found and tested:

Battery ground cable was heavily corroded
Cleaned post and replaced end​
Haven't found any blown fuses
Engine spins like there is no tomorrow, no issues with starter engagement or spin speed
Pulled all 3 glow plugs and tested resistance which came in at around the .55 ohms specified in the service manual
Connected each directly to the battery and each one lit up(glowed hot)​
Tested the power feed to glow plugs and saw about 12.4v when key is turned on
Fuel pump is clicking when key is turned on

I can't figure out why I'm not getting any fire.

My secondary problem is that I have both my box blade down and my loader down soooo, pulling it out of the shed to make troubleshooting/access easier isn't really an option.

Any help would be appreciated.

/ Max 24 no start / white smoke #2  
Sounds like no compression, from broken head gasket, valves or rings. Check compression, check radiator for fluid level. I had a Mahindra 4540 with just 700 hours on it and it blew the head gasket. Still under warranty, so they fixed it, but I noticed the engine temp gauge never got warm. Not good on working diesel engine. Problem is a manufacturing/engineering flaw that bleeds coolant off for emission control. THere is a factory fix. I made my own.

/ Max 24 no start / white smoke
Sounds like no compression, from broken head gasket, valves or rings. Check compression, check radiator for fluid level. I had a Mahindra 4540 with just 700 hours on it and it blew the head gasket. Still under warranty, so they fixed it, but I noticed the engine temp gauge never got warm. Not good on working diesel engine. Problem is a manufacturing/engineering flaw that bleeds coolant off for emission control. THere is a factory fix. I made my own.
I'm happy to report that the lack of compression is not an issue.

I resolved the issue with my tractor and it ended up being a very simple fix.

Apparently there was a flakey connection 'somewhere' in or around the fuseblock. After wiggling all of the connections and pulling/replacing all of the fuses(checking again of course), I hit the key and let the glow plugs heat up. Boom, it lit right up. Not sure which action fixed it but, it definitely was something associated with the fuseblock.

Thank you
:D

/ Max 24 no start / white smoke #4  
OH good. Glad you found it and simple fix.

/ Max 24 no start / white smoke #5  
Check and clean the connection to the glow plug buss. Do a search, it’s a very common problem with these machines

/ Max 24 no start / white smoke #6  
My Max 28 had the issue (cranks but would not start & white smoke) that user "FClary" had in this thread below:

I checked the voltage on the connector where it is bolted to the first glow plug and had no voltage there. I then removed the connector, cleaned the connection as best I could and it now works - eq has power and cranks and starts normally. I am planning on changing the connector to a type like "FClary" did.

/ Max 24 no start / white smoke #7  
Just learned recently from a new member the connector on some machines is a fusible link. If yours is one you might want to replace. Here’s the link

/ Max 24 no start / white smoke #8  
I hope someone has an idea of what I can try for this tractor. I bought it a little over a year ago as a 'new-old stock unit'.
It currently has 35 hrs on it and has been progressively becoming harder and harder to start until recently when it refused to start at all.
Exhaust belches white smoke until/if it starts.
Below is what I've found and tested:

Battery ground cable was heavily corroded
Cleaned post and replaced end​
Haven't found any blown fuses
Engine spins like there is no tomorrow, no issues with starter engagement or spin speed
Pulled all 3 glow plugs and tested resistance which came in at around the .55 ohms specified in the service manual
Connected each directly to the battery and each one lit up(glowed hot)​
Tested the power feed to glow plugs and saw about 12.4v when key is turned on
Fuel pump is clicking when key is turned on

I can't figure out why I'm not getting any fire.

My secondary problem is that I have both my box blade down and my loader down soooo, pulling it out of the shed to make troubleshooting/access easier isn't really an option.

Any help would be appreciated.
check/replace the connector for the glow plugs... it might look fine, that's what the problem was with mine... it was doing the same thing yours is doing...