Massey 5460 3 Point Lift Cylinders

/ Massey 5460 3 Point Lift Cylinders #1  

Capngeo

Tractor
Kubota L6060
So, today, out discing a lot I cleared and one of my (external) lift cylinders blew a seal and started dumping oil. Looked at the cylinder (single acting) and it is a welded cylinder, that's not repairable. Get out the old handy-dandy parts book and got a number of 3795030M2. Went to the Agco parts page and $630 each; less than I thought.....UGH_OH.. "Backordered".... Not a dern single one in the USA!

Quick (not really, I spent hours) search on Mr Google and I found nothing but used cylinders, and ones in Europe. I sent several emails to euro folks, and waiting on replies.

QUESTION: has anyone successfully cut apart a welded cylinder, overhauled it, and welded it back up? I have a big lathe, so cutting it open won't be much of an issue; finding the metric seals might be.... but what scares me is getting the alignment right for welding. Anyone care to opine?

/ Massey 5460 3 Point Lift Cylinders #3  
Who told you that you can't take it apart? Someone put it together didn't they?

You should be able to empty the fluid, remove the hose and fitting, then pull the rod out nearly full stroke. Look through the fitting port and at some point you should see the end of the rod, a groove around it with a wire type snap ring. Another groove slightly deeper right next to it. Roll the shaft around, use a pick or screwdriver and work the wire ring out of one groove and into the other. The shaft and ring should then come out.

Find the seals locally, and tell MF to kiss off.

/ Massey 5460 3 Point Lift Cylinders #4  
As LJ says, look for one that will work in its place.

/ Massey 5460 3 Point Lift Cylinders #5  
I agree with Harry. Post a picture of the gland seal area and we can probably tell you how to take it apart. The gland is where the rod extends out of the cylinder.

/ Massey 5460 3 Point Lift Cylinders #6  
I’m thinking the rod will pull right out, nothing holding it in . Then replace the rod seal.

/ Massey 5460 3 Point Lift Cylinders #7  
If single acting cylinder the main piston seal is leaking which is filling rod end with oil. Unless the rod end has a vent hose it will blow the seal out. Might be as simple as adding a vent line to to reservoir to keep operating until replacement is available. This would depend on how much the main seal is leaking.