market garden tractor

/ market garden tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am in the process of purchasing a 35 acre farm with 5 acres tillable land, the rest woods. I intend to work the tillable land as a market garden, and use the wooded land for Christmas trees and my own firewood. I have looked into two-wheeled walk behind tractors due to cost, but I am also interested in small four wheel tractors such as the Kubota. Does anyone have suggestions as the size and price of tractor to use with a rototiller/rotospader, a seeder, mower, etc. Also, anyone have any thoughts as to the usefullness of the two wheeled tractors. Thanks!

/ market garden tractor #2  
I'd suggest that you go look at the Kubota B series, New Holland Boomers, and John Deere 4000 series tractors with 4WD, hydrostatic transmissions, and a front end loader. I may be wrong, but I think if you try to do what you said with a walk behind 2 wheel tractor, you'll soon want to sell it and get a real tractor, so you'll be ahead in the long run financially to go ahead and buy a real tractor, and the smaller ones will do the job, just take more time than a larger one. Personally, I think you should be looking at the 20-35hp range.

Bird

/ market garden tractor #3  
I'm with Bird on this one a two wheeled tractor would not cut it for what you want to do and by your name unless you have a plow mounted on your truck you will also need something to push or blow snow as well. Cost is always a factor and my first tractor was a 8n and I still have that tractor today comes in handy for alot of stuff around the house when my other tractor is on a job.
If your going to have any sort of tree farm the tractor can be a write off long term. Something for you to check into as well nothing better than a good writeoff. Something to think about. Good luck
Gordon

/ market garden tractor #4  
Im in the same situation as you. I got excited about a BCS tiller with a Yanmar diesel. Peacefull Valley Farm Supply and Elliot Colemen think this is the latest and greatest. If you want to do the job....buy a compact diesel 4x4 hydro and have some fun. If you research the forums you will find that finding the right flavor of tractor is very difficult.Rely on the expertise of Bird,McChalkey and others that have real world experience.

/ market garden tractor #5  
Vermonter,
If your going to purchase a new Kubota you might consider the B2400,B2710,B2910 for a tree farming also wood land work.
If you are thinking about second hand Kubota make sure it has power steering,for I found out trying to drive between rows of xams tress with the slope of the land also type of ground it can be hard to steer.
If you plan on getting out your own fire wood,a darn good set of tire chains for the rear tires are handy for traction also braking.
You didn't mention if you were going to purchase a front end loader.
The front end loader like your right hand when working a tree farm !!

I did start out with a 2wd tractor on my tree farm,but after having 4 wd tractor and doing what your thinking of doing with your land, I wouldn't want to go back to a 2wd tractor.
You can do more with a 4wd tractor and easier on the back also safer.

Your name makes me wonder if your from the state of Vermont,if so I just live right across from you in New Hampshire....heck I can see Vermont as I write this post.

If your planning to buy a new or used Kubota check out New Hampshire for there no sales tax.

Take care and good luck.

Thomas..NH

/ market garden tractor #6  
Working 5 acres for a market garden might well put you in the ned for something along the lines of a B2710.

You may be looking at a tiller, bushhog and loader as hurry up needs. 4 whl drive is a definite in snow country/hilly areas and power steering an arm saver.

You may get deals (see some of the adverts for used stuff on this site) an fairly new equipment from folks who traded up.