making chains

/ making chains #1  

jfakerj

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4300HST 4x4
Where's a good place to find the things I'd need to make tire chains for my 4300. Chain, connectors, cam-locks, etc. I want to just buy everything and put them together, no fabricate everything. I've asked at a couple of places and they don't know.

Jerry

/ making chains #2  
tirechains.com

sig3.gif

/ making chains #3  
Try Labonville. They've a web site at <http://www.labonville.com/>, but you'll need to request a printed catalog to see what they carry.

Take care,

Peter

/ making chains #4  
JF, I just got a flier in on a company that specializes in tire chains for farm tractors and timber operations, will see if I can find it. Why would you want to part a set together at a hardware store, it usually does not fit as well as a company made model and ends up costing about 2.5 times more.

/ making chains
The reason I'd like tomake the is the jd4300 that I own don't fit chais well. The chains would have to fit very high on the side wall of the tire to fit between the fender. I was thinking that if I buy bulk chain and all the fittings it would fit better and be cheeper. I've seen what some of you are paying for premade chains and I'm not willing to pay that much. I'll also put on cam-locks instead of the regular chain tighteners. The only way to go. Much-much better. The chains stay really tight.

Jerry

/ making chains #6  
I made chains for my 4300 as the R-4's would not allow regular chains to fit between the fenders and the sidewalls of the tires. I too, thought they needed to be high on the tire, and fit in the depression at the edge of the R-4 lugs. I bought the side chain, and the cross chain. Took the cross chain to a welder and had them torched to length, and made my own.I borrowed the heavy duty chain clincher from the local township garage. The cost was in the $200 range, I think, but would have to look up my receipts to tell for sure. If interested, I will dig that info out for you. They work real well (lots of snow and then heavy, thick ice last winter). I purchased the stuff at an industrial store that catered to local industry and truck users.

/ making chains #7  
Sounds like an interesting project Jerry. Please keep us posted...and take lots of pictures!!!!

18-82971-tbnsig.gif