Mahindra 6110 Gear Cab - Foaming Transmission Fluid Pouring From Transmission Breather Tube

/ Mahindra 6110 Gear Cab - Foaming Transmission Fluid Pouring From Transmission Breather Tube #1  

rcleach

Tractor
Mahindra 6110 Gear Cab
I was pulling a bush hog and the power steering started to shake. I turned around and went back to the barn. when I got there, the three point hydraulics wouldn't lift the bus hog.
I checked the transmission oil level and it was way low. I put about 9 gallons of fluid in it. Now (and probably before-hand) it leaks fluid from the transmission breather tube. It is really foamy, but when it settles it looks fine. I suspect an air leak in the hydraulics, but I have no idea where to even start to look.
I'm very new to tractors, so any help is appreciated.

/ Mahindra 6110 Gear Cab - Foaming Transmission Fluid Pouring From Transmission Breather Tube #2  
Someone else may be able to offer some help as to what may be the actual problem, but perhaps worth mentioning is not to use your hands to feel for any hydraulic leaks because the pressures are so high they can inject hydraulic fluid into your body causing you to lose a hand or worse.

After losing 9 gallons of fluid, you'd think there would be evidence of a visible hydraulic leak somewhere.

/ Mahindra 6110 Gear Cab - Foaming Transmission Fluid Pouring From Transmission Breather Tube
It pours out of the transmission breather tube. Very obvious now. Not so obvious then.

/ Mahindra 6110 Gear Cab - Foaming Transmission Fluid Pouring From Transmission Breather Tube #4  
When was the transmission oil last changed? Sounds like the oil system is blocked, coming out of the breather tube because it has no place else to go.

Start with the simple, progress to the harder, more expensive things. Try the two filters: the big external filter, and the inline filter (assuming your tractor has two filters in the transmission oil system). Use OEM filters, to avoid filter failure issues. These hydraulic filters are designed for high pressures, and knock-off filters may not be. Caveat Emptor, Baby!

If it is not one of the filters, it could be a plug in the system. Some simple, inexpensive things to try:

1. Add a full 16 oz. can of SeaFoam (will treat up to 16 gallons) to the transmission: it will dissolve deposits of oil crud, if any, to be captured by the filter, usually very quickly; it will marginally thin the oil; if this achieves results, change the oil and filters immediately!
  2. Add a full can of Techron to the transmission: same as SeaFoam, only a bit more powerful
  3. Add 1-2 quarts of Dexron ATF to the transmission (get the cheapest - 3/4/5; 6 is Full Synthetic, not worthwhile for this purpose): equal to around 8W oil; highly detergent; similar to SeaFoam/Techron.
Outside of that, I recommend you take it to a dealer, or better yet, an independent tractor mechanic, for professional assistance. Cheers!

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 6110 Gear Cab - Foaming Transmission Fluid Pouring From Transmission Breather Tube #5  
I'd check for a crack in the feed line/lines to the hydraulic pump. Sometimes the crack is so small they won't leak fluid but will pull in air since they're on the suction side of the pump.