Chipper MacKissic Chipper Blade Removal

/ MacKissic Chipper Blade Removal #11  
Had nuts on the back side on the hard-to-work-on other chipper/shredder I had. Prefer the Macs without.

You do not need to tighten them that tight with blue thread locker. Have never had any come loose. Just tighten reasonably tight with little 6" handle driver. Think tightening them so tight that they collapse on the allen hole is the problem.

Ralph

/ MacKissic Chipper Blade Removal #12  
I removed just one knife blade on my Wallenstein. Biggest concern - holding the rotor from rotating. Big set of vice grips on the rotor solved this concern. Rotate until the vice grips make contact with the enclosure. My 1/2" breaker bar finally broke the bolts loose. Wallenstein uses some form of LockTite on all their bolts.

I was checking to see the difference in "sharpness" between the used/unused sides of the blade. After five years of use - barely noticeable. The used side, very handily, sliced my thumb. When they say - "hardened steel blades" - they aren't kidding.

/ MacKissic Chipper Blade Removal #13  
I had the same problem with my macKissic which I bought used. I don't think the person I bought it from had ever sharpened the blades. They were a real pain to get out. I did use map gas, but I didn't heat them that much. At the factory, I think they use the red thread dope which is really tenacious. I used just a tiny bit of blue when I put the bolts back in and I haven't had as much trouble since.