LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #21  
LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL

Here's my regen history, the best I have record of it. I'm sure I missed a few early on before I recognized there was a real problem and started keeping track. I have been having excessive regens almost since the tractor was purchased.

Dealership has been great at getting the tractor in for service and trying a few things, but unfortunately the problem has not been resolved. They called me yesterday after hearing back from LS and informed me that LS’ stance is that regeneration every 2 hours is normal. If regeneration is occurring more frequently than 2 hours apart, there could be an issue.

I find that unacceptable.
I use the tractor at home, it is not a business machine, but based on an 8 hour work day, what should be a normal regen cycle of around 50 hours, would give me 6+ days between regens, and LS is telling me that 4 times per day is normal!

First some qualifying information.

• Tractor is run consistently between 1800 and 2400 RPM
  • Always used on road diesel filled from high turnover stations in 5 gallon cans, I fill 2 or 3 cans, 10-15 gallons at a time, so there has been a lot of fuel turnover, not the same, or old fuel being used. Tried with and without fuel additive (Power Kleen or Howes) no change. At one point LS blamed fuel quality, but refused to test the fuel in the tank to prove it.
  • DPF switch left in regeneration mode, I have never inhibited regeneration.

Occasionally before a regen, the DPF regeneration indicator will blink on/off at 1 sec intervals indicating a >120% soot load, then soon after it will go through a normal regen cycle without me needing to initiate it via the DPF switch. I have not kept a detailed record of when the indicator flashes before a regen, but I have noticed it several times (and I’m sure I missed it blinking a few times too.) Normally it seems to go right into regen mode (solid light) indicating 100% soot load, not >120%, but not always.

I’ve also had a few regens complete and then within 5 minutes the tractor goes into limp mode which a restart clears. That has happened maybe 3 times or so. I don’t recall what was displayed on the instrument panel other than the red ! (Vehicle control error warning indicator.)

Another thing I have noticed more recently, this may be indicative or not; I have noticed a much more pronounced diesel odor in the exhaust than in the past. While nothing like my previous non tier IV motor which was sooty, the MT240 used to burn extremely clean with no noticeable exhaust odor, now there is a diesel exhaust smell, not horrible, but definitely noticeable. Maybe now because it has 300 hours that is to be expected. There is no visible soot or black smoke, just a diesel odor that was not there previously. I may also hear injector or valve chatter that is louder then before as well.

Additionally there were a couple regens run at the dealership during troubleshooting and maintenance which I don't have listed below.

Regen time on hour meter, all regens completed successfully after ~15 minutes:

4 (ran by dealer due to error code, day after I brought it home)
115 (Dealership replaced DPF Sensor, removed and cleaned DPF)
254 (Dealership replaced ECU and DPF sensor. Invoice notes “REGEN OCCURRING TO OFTEN WITH NO SOOT LOAD”)
259 (In Dealership for service, ran diagnostic, nothing significant noted)

I'm looking for advice on how to move forward. First I need to be able to get the dealer to move forward since LS who is paying for the warranty work says this is NORMAL OPERATION.

Next I see 2 different paths.
  1. DPF System has a fault
  2. DPF system working normally, tractor producing too much soot
Comments?
Have they checked to make sure thermostat is functioning properly? I think I heard somewhere that if these engines run too cool it will cause soot build up and excessive regeneration.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL
this was going into the last regen, before the second regen light (DPF Temp) came on.
It was about 70f out, does the temp gauge seem too cool?

regen1.jpg

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #23  
JCoastie, when the regen symbol comes on do you run it at high rpm until it goes out? When the symbol appears on my RK37 I just stop what I'm doing, kick the rpm up into the PTO range and wait. I have only 155 hours on mine in 3 1/2 years and the regen has only happened 3 times that I know of. Longest time for the regen to complete was 32 minutes. Last time a couple weeks back it was right at 23 minutes.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #24  
Lighten up. Life is too short not to have a few 'Punch' posts. You do know who Punch was right?
Yeah,I think his wife was Judy. Is that your wife?

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #25  
is there a way to half step this, and initially see if the dealer can confirm there is excess soot, and then find the root cause?
Is there a way for them to simply check for/confirm excess soot, or is is just implied at this point?
The LS software should be able to read the soot load. It's a pressure differential sensor and they tend to be pretty reliable.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #26  
this was going into the last regen, before the second regen light (DPF Temp) came on.
It was about 70f out, does the temp gauge seem too cool?

View attachment 738585
It is lower than mine indicates when fully warmed up. Mine usually runs just to the left of the half way mark. When it goes even or just past the halfway mark, I know it's time to clean the radiator screen.

So you may be narrowing in on at least one issue

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #27  
JCoastie, when the regen symbol comes on do you run it at high rpm until it goes out? When the symbol appears on my RK37 I just stop what I'm doing, kick the rpm up into the PTO range and wait. I have only 155 hours on mine in 3 1/2 years and the regen has only happened 3 times that I know of. Longest time for the regen to complete was 32 minutes. Last time a couple weeks back it was right at 23 minutes.
On mine the first time it needed to regen it surged the RPM a couple times and got my attention to look at the dash then the RPM's increased from 1500RPM where I had it at, to 1800 and it did its regen and when it was done it dropped back to 1500RPM. I continued to do my work during the regen.

Since then I run it at 1800 RPM, I did have one regen throttle up from that to 2000RPM so I don't know why it would increase RPM to a different setting, ambient temperature maybe?

Another regen happened while I was running at PTO speed and the only reason I know it did the regen was I happened to do a gauge check and saw the regen/hi temp lights on.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #28  
My regens about every 50 hours. Do you run the rpm up when it regens? It may not be burning the soot off. But I think the dealer would have done this. I would contact LS. Temp may be a little lower than mine, but not by much. To check if it is the temp of the engine, try putting something in front of the radiator. Be careful and don't over heat it. Please keep us posted. I lot of folks in Alabama.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL
@DonRybak as others have since mentioned, the ECU controls the RPM during regen to an extent, I'm usually above the RPM it needs to be, but if required, the ECU will bump the RPM up to the needed range during a regen.

/ LS SAYS A REGEN EVERY 2 HOURS IS NORMAL #30  
JCoastie, the LS must be different than the RK. My RK37 has the indicator that when displayed I can push a regen button that then increases the rpm or the dealer said I can just manually kick it up with the throttle. Since yours is ECU controlled I guess that answers my question.