Snow Attachments looking for answers...lol

/ looking for answers...lol #1  

railbike4

Bronze Member
Tractor
toro groundsmaster52
I found a MTD 40" single stage snow blower that i am in the process of mounting to my toro groundsmaster 52 front deck tractor...I found an old gravely 90 gear box.the problem is i can't find any info.on what is the optimum auger speed for the snow blower auger. i could do it the easy way and build it then change out sprockets to find the right gearing or the hard way with a formula that was as long as my arm.(what i have been doing for the last 2 days to no avail.) or just ask if someone might know what the final drive speed is on my mtd snow blower. auger diam.is 20",auger pitch is 6" ,twin fluted . any advice is appreciated. i have watched every u tube video trying to get an idea of auger speed...

/ looking for answers...lol #2  
Frontier 3pt snowblowers use a 15" dia. auger speed of 170 rpm, 24" dia. impeller is 540 rpm, and 540 rpm coming from the tractor pto.

I looked online at Toro and Honda blowers and couldn't find any specs for rpms.

/ looking for answers...lol
thank you Dave for hunting up the data. it sounds like the one u are describing is a 2 stage blower ,sadly mine is a single stage with auger and thrower on the same shaft. from looking at my dads john deere single stage snow blower it seems in the 800 -1200 rpm range ,but it has been awhile since i seen it run. the mtd augers are not solid and twin fluted which should change rpm even more.lol back to the drawing board...

/ looking for answers...lol #4  
thank you Dave for hunting up the data. it sounds like the one u are describing is a 2 stage blower ,sadly mine is a single stage with auger and thrower on the same shaft. from looking at my dads john deere single stage snow blower it seems in the 800 -1200 rpm range ,but it has been awhile since i seen it run. the mtd augers are not solid and twin fluted which should change rpm even more.lol back to the drawing board...

Oh, I assumed two stage. Sorry. I thought maybe the auger and impeller rpms would be roughly in the same proportion for most (2-stage) blowers.

i have been looking thru old threads trying to find anything to help out.nothing yet lol

all my luck.no manual is shown. i bet mtd will not release any info. pertaining to operating limits. they are kinda tight lipped on things like that.lol

got the rest of mounts made for the snow blower. went real well..now all i need is operating rpm for a Mtd 40" single stage snow blower.anybody have one of theses and a laser tach....lol

ForumRunner_20140228_132738.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140228_132809.png
    ForumRunner_20140228_132809.png
    342.3 KB · Views: 116
well i guessed the auger speed from the info i could find.came up with a speed i hope will work. 952 rpm on 20" auger . at 3600 ( full throttle) on tractor. i hope it works. ooh by the way anybody come up a neat way to turn spout I'm all ears...

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

International 1460 Combine w/ Header (A33041)
International 1460...
2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...
continental jet ski trailer (A32932)
continental jet...
(3) Safety Hoist Mdl. 424B 7-Ton Air Jacks (A33349)
(3) Safety Hoist...
Case IH Weights (A33041)
Case IH Weights...
2014 SKYJACK SJ111-3219 SCISSOR LIFT (A32908)
2014 SKYJACK...