Looking for agressive, perennial, no-till crop

/ Looking for agressive, perennial, no-till crop #1  

DrRod

Platinum Member
Ellicott City, MD - Farm in Orbisonia PA (south ce
Tractor
John Deere 4110
I have some old hay fields that I mow but don't collect the hay. Over the last two year, Japanese stilt grass has invaded and is starting to dominate large portions of the fields. I would like to plant something that can compete. From reading various posts I get the impression that clover is the best bet. So I would like your thoughts on:

Is clover aggressive enough to compete with stalk grass?

Is there a type that is perennial so that I can plant a field and let it thrive for a few years?

Is there a type that can be sowed without plowing/disking/rolling?

I may be asking for the world here but why not start with the ultimate solution before moving down to reality.

Thanks

/ Looking for agressive, perennial, no-till crop #2  
Talk to your extension agent, they can give you idea on what to plant and how to control it. Clover is a perennial, is good for your soil and also a good food crop for grazing and wildlife. You have probably already read this http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_010258.pdf and it gives some pretty good tips. While I try to avoid using herbicides apparently spraying stiltgrass does work well, and may be your easiest first step.
Apparently the stiltgrass does affect your soil composition, so you might consider a soil test before planting. I also would consider a plant inoculant if you do go with clover. Seed isn't cheap, after all.

/ Looking for agressive, perennial, no-till crop #3  
clover starts to die out after the 2nd year

Jerusalem artichoke will take over from anything that grows, if you were in a area that had wild hogs they would slow down the artichokes. once started they are hard to get rid of ☺

/ Looking for agressive, perennial, no-till crop #4  
***Is there a type that can be sowed without plowing/disking/rolling?***

Do a search for "frost seeding". I've been using it for 20 years for re-seeding my pastures, and hay field, with excellent results. Works well with many grasses, and legumes. It mimics Mother Nature, pulling the seed into the ground, when the dirt honeycombs during late winter freeze/thaw cycles. Your states extension service should have information on it, as to the best dates to do it. Here in central Ohio, it's the last 2 weeks of Feb. to the first 2 weeks of March.

Here, the biggest problem is finding days where the wind isn't blowing too hard, when broadcasting. I've had perfect days to do it, then other days, I had to wait for the wind to lay in the early evening. You just have to check with the weather service forecast to find the perfect time.

/ Looking for agressive, perennial, no-till crop #5  
Plant Ladino Clover in the fall. The next spring spray it with generic raptor. Spray again in late summer. I am on 9 years with two 1.5 ac plots.

/ Looking for agressive, perennial, no-till crop
***Is there a type that can be sowed without plowing/disking/rolling?***

Do a search for "frost seeding". I've been using it for 20 years for re-seeding my pastures, and hay field, with excellent results. Works well with many grasses, and legumes. It mimics Mother Nature, pulling the seed into the ground, when the dirt honeycombs during late winter freeze/thaw cycles. Your states extension service should have information on it, as to the best dates to do it. Here in central Ohio, it's the last 2 weeks of Feb. to the first 2 weeks of March.

This is a very appealing idea. But I wonder if the seed would get eaten by mice, birds, et al while sitting on the ground. Have you experienced much loss from this?

/ Looking for agressive, perennial, no-till crop
Plant Ladino Clover in the fall. The next spring spray it with generic raptor. Spray again in late summer. I am on 9 years with two 1.5 ac plots.

Thank you for this suggestion. I was not aware that there was herbicide that would kill grass but not clover so this is a real step forward for me. Thanks again.

/ Looking for agressive, perennial, no-till crop #8  
   / Looking for agressive, perennial, no-till crop #9  
JSG is a PITA. We've got some of it also but not in my plots, it's further up the mountain. Good luck w/ your plot, keep us posted how it works out. I know JSG comes to the party late each Spring so maybe if you plant early enough, you could get something that would compete w/ it (at least a little bit?)...