Looking for advice on buying a trailer

/ Looking for advice on buying a trailer #11  
Mossroad I can say ditto to that. Have a flat on a loaded single
axle and you could easily lose everything. No brakes means
no way to control sway if it happens not to mention the 6000lb
brakeless item your truck brakes have to stop.

A sway control hitch will of course help.

I don't know if you'd have a leg to stand on liability wise
if that came off and didn't have an automatic brake-away setup
to lock the brakes as soon as it is detached.

I thought I'd seen everything until I saw someone hauling
a small tractor, real small but still HEAVY on one of those
trailers they sell at Home Depot that has the teensy tires.

Bed was flexing as he drove.

I try to plan for a worst case scenario and so far have
been happy.

I use a 10K flatbed to haul my Kubota or Deere and will
also be using a 6x12 dump trailer for the Deere.

Don't need to use the ramps, just dump it out! or /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

del

/ Looking for advice on buying a trailer #12  
Thanks for the concern about the single axle, weight, and safety. I'll be pulling it with an F150 4x4. And more importantly, the unit will be hauled mostly within 5 miles of where I live for a business and probably will only see 50MPH less than 10% of the time. The tires are at least 6 ply trailer tires, so that makes me feel better, and the tractor & implements will be less than 2000 lbs.

I normally would opt for a tandem axle for over the road, but in this case, I want to be able to maneauver the trailer by hand into the back yard.

Anything bigger or more at road speeds, and I'd opt for the bigger trailer and brakes.

Thanks for being concerned about me. It never hurts to hear people voice concerns!

Ron

/ Looking for advice on buying a trailer #13  
Give some thought to spending a little more money and buying a dump trailer. I just bought a 6-month old 12K GVWR tandom-axle dump trailer on ebay for only $2900. They sell for more than $5k new. The bed is over 6 feet wide and 12 feet long. It will easily haul my Cub 7360, which weighs near 5K with FEL and loaded tires.

I bought it to deliver firewood. But it will have many uses around here. The dump is much more useable than a flat bed trailer.

/ Looking for advice on buying a trailer #14  
HI...

Thinking 16'... go 18'... just a few $ more ($100?)... 2-axle...
As mentioned... must a brakes on each wheel in CT... and breakaway setup...

Expect the trailer to weigh ~2,000 lbs...

Can likely significantly increase the tow capacity & max. tongue weight of your vehicle by using a "weight distributing hitch"... recall ~$300... I use one...

Check out the Hudson brand trailers... seems popular w/ dealers I checked out locally in CT... can get longer 6' ladder style ramps with spring assist for lifting ease... 18' ~$2,600...

Dave...

/ Looking for advice on buying a trailer
Thanks everyone. Sorry it took me a while to get back online. My PC started going on the fritz last weekend.

This was all very good information.
Ron - I checked out Big-Tex but the dealer that is near by is only open M-F. Last Saturday they gave me directions to the place but did not tell me, by the way we are closed on Saturday's. Nice. I'll call and bust their chops a bit and see if I can get in there this Saturday anyway. Otherwise I'll look somewhere else. Did find a guy on the same street who sells Ringo's. Got a price from him for a 6X18 7,000lbs, $2,400 with tax and shipping.

Docksnotinn - I have not seen any one on the net offer rubber torsion axles. It will be something I ask about though. Did you do the upgrade to the 15" tires just for a better ride or was there another benefit?

Tom - I never heard of Cam trailers. Looked'em up on the net and will see if I can find a dealer near me. I have been meaning to take a ride out to MI to check it out. As a kid our family lived around the Birmingham area for about 13 years. That was back in the 60's. We still have friends back there. I've hauled trailers 1,600 miles, what's 1,000?

Dave - I checked out Hudson trailers. Found 2 dealers; one is 20 minutes away the other 30. Thanks for the lead.

I am definately going the double axle route. If for no other reason than I don't want to deal with a single axle flat tire problem. Nasty. I like the idea of a dumping trailer. I guess I need to figure out the benefit vs. the cost for how I plan on using, or could use, a trailer. I found it strange that in the little bit of research I have done, I have not found much info. on options, other than from ya'll. Even after talking to dealers. Sealed lights, sway controls, things to give better rides, heck no one has even suggested a spare tire before. It is sad that someone needs to know what to ask for, even when they don't know enough to know.

Now that it has warmed up to about 20, my plan is to visit some dealers today. I wonder what my wifes plan is? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks again.
Rollerskate.

/ Looking for advice on buying a trailer #16  
As afterthoughts remember the brake controller and check out the weight/price difference between the 7000 pound and 10,000 pound trailers.
Happy trailering.

Egon

/ Looking for advice on buying a trailer #17  
You will probably not see the rubber torsion axles unless you buy from a manufacturer that will custom build for you. I chose the 15" tires for better ride but the fact that they are radials Vs the standard Bias ply tires was just as important to my final choice. I wanted to make sure it would last and I am more confident with the upgrades. Dave

/ Looking for advice on buying a trailer
I made the purchase /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Bought a Pequea 616, a 16' utility trailer

After everyone's advice, I went around to as many dealers as I could. Trying to find dealers that stocked equipment, especially this time of year, took a bit of research. I was able to see, Big Tex, Bri-Mar and Pequea. I got quotes on Big Tex, Pequea, Ringo and Hudson. The Hudson seemed like the best deal and I was going to order, until this weekend. We "had to" visit some friends in central NJ. For jiggles I looked up some dealers and found a place that stocked Pequea's. Took a ride over and he quoted me a price $550 less than the guy near me. I couldn't believe it. It took about 1/2 a second to say "sold". 20 minutes later I was out-a-there.

A few things I initially really liked about the Pequea were the split mesh tail gate (good for slightly uneven ground and when you are just using a wheel barrow or dolly) , the suspension, the set back jack (I can open the doors on my Suburban), the sealed lights and how neat and organized the wiring was done. Pulling it back from NJ for 130 miles made me like how nice the ride was. It follows the truck through turns, never bounced or jerked around no matter how bad the road got and best of all, made it up my very inclined driveway without anything bottoming out. My final test is seeing that my CK20 gets up the standard 4'8" ramps. The backhoe does reduce ground clearance a few inches. Otherwise I'll get the 6' ramps.

Thanks again to everyone of all your great advice.
Rollerskate

/ Looking for advice on buying a trailer #19  
If you are interested in a CAM trailer,there is a dealer in n/e CT. called W.H.Rose in Willimantic CT. I bought one last spring,very nice trailer.