Seeders Looking at a seed drill

/ Looking at a seed drill #1  

Lmholmes11

Tractor
John Deere 2305, White Field Boss 21
I found a 16 row (I think its 16) older Moline seed drill for $375. He said he planted grass seed with it last. My question is, can I plant brassica seed and other types of seed with it?

/ Looking at a seed drill #2  
You can find a lot of information on the internet with searches but you need a better decription or model number. I would first try to gather some information from the seller basically find out what he knows.

/ Looking at a seed drill #3  
I'd post this on YTMAG, the yesterday's tractors forum. Lots of old guys running old equipment.....:)

/ Looking at a seed drill #4  
My Minneapolis Moline P3-6 drill (10-ft wide, 20 drops, 6" row spacing) had a pair of grass boxes for planting small seeds (grasses, alfalfa, etc). You can see those two small grass boxes attached to the front of the larger boxes for larger seeds (oats, wheat, etc) and/or granulated fertilizer. I bought two of these old steel wheeled drills for $275 from a neighbor and used parts from both to make one working drill. Took several months of part time work to clean up the rusted parts and make the drill look pretty.

Drill-8.JPGDrill-7.JPG

Normally, this arrangement plants grass seed in rows. If you want a solid stand of grass instead of rows, you can modify the drill as shown in this photo. I moved the grass boxes to the rear of the drill and added a pair of two-bounce seed chutes to distribute the seed in a line rather than in 20 rows.

M5525  drill-1.JPG

Good luck.

/ Looking at a seed drill #5  
see if common parts are available, disks, Disks bearings, and if there are any other common parts that may be needed,

I looks it is a very small seed,
but it like it needs the small seed box to properly plant plant it,

one may be able to mix with some kind of filler, even dry screened sand to control the amount of seed that is planted, if using the regular feed cups,

/ Looking at a seed drill
Thanks for the reply guys I appreciate it. Here's a picture of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-11-10-24-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-11-10-24-51.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 167
   / Looking at a seed drill #7  
Looks OK. It's stored in a shed--less rust.

There has to be some way to lift the disc openers out of the ground while making turns. One of the old Minneapolis Moline drills I bought had a pair of trip clutches for this task. Pull the ropes once and the openers lift out of the soil. Pull them again and the openers drop into the soil.

The other drill had manually raised openers. I modified that one by adding a hydraulic cylinder to raise the openers.

I can't figure out from the photo you posted what kind of lifting gear that drill has. I'd check this out before buying.

Good luck