Long 360

/ Long 360 #1  

tdark

I got a 360 Long diesel tractor that nobody used for at least a year. It started up and went to pull it in shop and it quit.

I drained all the old fuel out of it, replaced the two fuel filters , put 2 gallons of fresh fuel in it and finally got it running. It ran for about 15 minutes and just quit just like it did when I was driving it in the shop.

I then decided I might need to just fill it all the way up so I did. I used the manual lever pump and it started again. I then pressure washed the outside of it but I did leave it running. It ran for probably 30 minutes and just when I was moving it back in the shop it quit again.

I removed the return line at front higher filter and spun it over. Fuel came out and it tried to start so I tighten the line, hit the starter button and again it ran. Not sure for how long but it is now running. Anyone know what is causing this thing to just stop like someone pulled the shutoff ? I know it will probably do it again but for now its back running fine.
I did noticed when it quit outside where I pressure washed it that just before it stopped it sounded better than anytime it has been run. It does seen to have a slight miss at idle but when i crack the injector lines it does bog down on all cylinders.
I forgot to add that when I changed the fuel filters there was a tiny o-ring in the package. It didn't look the one under the bolt that holds the filter on so I didn't use it. It looked like a special seal and washer . I just used the old ones even though one of the rubber seals didn't look as good as the one of other filter. Its not leaking so I assume it couldn't pull air in. When it quit there was lots of air coming out of injector lines though.
At one time in my life I did work on diesels and I had a line I used to put on the return to see if air was in the system. I see no way I could do this on this tractor but it could be pulling air somewhere. When it quits it sure won't start right back. Like I mentioned I did get it to start the last time today by just removing the return line at top filter for just a second and it started.

Last edited:
   / Long 360 #2  
There is a bleeder screw on the inj pump, by the name plate.. it’s a double screw w the 5/16 being the one u want to loosen..
Once the engine stops, loosen the 5/16 screw and see if there’s air there.. if yes, then it’s getting in there back from the pump..
If u have the 3 pc filter set up, the TOP ORING MUST GO UP IN THE FILTER HEAD, NOT ON THE FILTER.!!
THATS very important.!!
Otherwise it’ll do the exact same thing as your experiencing..
Good luck

/ Long 360
The first thing I did when it quit was remove the plug on injector pump. I don't remember if air came out when I cracked it open a little or not but when I spun it over and only clear fuel came out. I know it will quit again and I can do as you mentioned and see if the injector pump is the problem. If air does come out then what you are saying is I would have to get the pump rebuilt ? That would be a pretty expensive thing to do ??

I did put the large flat o-rings in upper filter housing and not on filter . I had to use a little grease to hold one in place but they held fine and I know they stayed in place because I took it back off to make sure.

There was also a tiny o-ring in package that I didn't use because it wasn't like the one on very top of housing where you screw the bolt in. One of these didn't look right but I used it anyway. Looked like it might have had a cut in it but it didn't leak. It was more like a seal with small lip on it that would press down in housing and not made like an o-ring. The other one stayed in place and it looked good on the top filter that has the return line on it . This tiny seal looked like it should go down into housing with washer next. That's how it was anyway.

I don't think these have ever been changed but again they didn't leak.

I didn't have a clue which filters to buy so I just went by the numbers on the old ones. This was for a Ford and did question if it was the correct one for this diesel. NAPA Gold 3166 ? The NAPA store I buy from said they were the same as a Long 360 but I have no clue if he knew what he was talking about ?

There are no numbers on this tractor that I can find but looking at engine and tractor it looks to be a 360. The person that had this tractor said he thought it was a 36 hp and when he bought it years ago it was sold to him as a 1983.

Last edited:
   / Long 360 #4  
U might find where it’s getting air by cleaning the fuel system good, then sprinkling baby powder along the filters, hoses and fittings.
Next, put a small amount of air in the fuel tank..& then go look at the powder..
Anywhere that it’s sucking air will leak under pressure..
Be careful not to blow up the tank.. it only needs a little air..

/ Long 360
Thanks, I will give that a try today. I think I have a regulator so maybe 5 or 10 pounds should be ok ? to put in the tank. If I can't find the regulator I can just use the redneck method and put vise grips on the air line lol
I sure would hate to remove this tank

/ Long 360
I didn't get a chance to work on this old tractor today.

I did notice this morning when I got to my shop it had leaked some fuel around picture number 3. I found a 3/8 id brass washer late today and I should be able to stop that tomorrow by replacing it.

Update. Washer under number 3 in this picture was replaced. It has not quit in an hour so I check that one off.

Attachments

• Long Diesel.jpg
    Long Diesel.jpg
    907.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited: