Chains Loader Lifting: Chains vs. Ropes

/ Loader Lifting: Chains vs. Ropes
The snap-back phenomenon is good to keep in mind. If I were pulling from the draw bar I would not use a rope for that and other reasons. However, since my strict topic is lifting vertically with the loader, I don't think I will worry about it, although I will keep it in mind. With loader lifting we're only talking about a few feet of rope, negligible stretch, limited weight, and any snap should go vertically not horizontally.

/ Loader Lifting: Chains vs. Ropes #12  
By "fly all over" I'm referring to the unfortunate reality that if a break occurs, it's essentially an uncontrolled release of energy. The direction of recoil will not be limited to the axis it was pulled in. Avoiding a break is the thing to do!

/ Loader Lifting: Chains vs. Ropes #13  
Ernie,

Why would anyone do that? It is extremely dangerous and a bale spear can be made for a few dollars or bought ready to go for about $350. A 3000# bale rolling in your lap would ruin your day. They even make a DO NOT do this sticker because so many people have been hurt doing it.

On the rope issue, I have never used a rope with my tractor if there was any other way. I lifted a 2000# pallet of finish lumber using two 10,000 # stretchey nylon like slings and they never felt good to me. Chains don't stretch and have a lot of strength for their weight. They lie around for several years and are still servicable.

I use a nylon climbing belt to climb a radio tower to over 100 feet. The belt is 4 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick and uses a manilla rope that is 1 inch in diameter to hold a person, so they don't count much capability for the smaller sizes and I wouldn't either when it is my life depending on them. I also don't climb mountains.