Ballast Loader ballast

/ Loader ballast
Well, I settled with the dirt people. They stuck to the quoted price and I tackled the ruts they left. No implements. No additional ballast. Just the loader and the loaded turf tires.

I had a lot of fun and felt the rears lift slightly only once when I jerked a full bucket a little too quickly. I was quite pleased with the tractor's performance. The ruts are gone and I had a little practice with the loader. I found that filling and then dragging backwards with the bucket dug in a little does a nice job of smoothing things out.

But the ground was wet and I was making some mud. Once the tread in the turf tires filled with the muck I was making I started spinning the tires anytime I tried to dig in and drag the bucket. So I figured I'd let the sun work on things for a few days and give it a whirl on the weekend.

All in all a very pleasant learning experience. What a difference a day makes.

Huck

/ Loader ballast #32  
Glenn,
I'm looking to buy a Bx2200 with loader and have been researching weight boxes. I've seen one on the internet by Kasco Manufacturing (kascomfg.com)but couldn't find a site for Springfield. Do you have their web address, or a full company name? Also, what are the dimensions? The Kasco box is 20x20x20. Thanks. Frank

/ Loader ballast #33  
Frank,

I looked for Springfield on the net before I posted their name and couldn't find them either. The only thing I can suggest is that you could call my dealer and ask him for an address and phone number. You can use my name, just in case I am wrong about the Springfield name. He will know the box. He is Hy Ruwet, at Ruwet-Sibley Equipment, 860-354-9336. Another option is John Deere. Their catalogs show tractors with a Deere green weight box.

Glenn

/ Loader ballast #34  
Frank,

A nice 1000# box blade is a better (but more expensive) solution. Now you have rippers, a front facing and rear facing blade as well as a loader on the tractor at the same time. I also have nearly 2000# of antifreeze (non-toxic type) in the tires also. I, personally, would not use a weight box unless I was using the loader for long hours at a time and did not have a box blade or similar implement available.