Lincoln AC/DC question

/ Lincoln AC/DC question #11  
They have outlasted the changes in the industry, still made todayand Lincoln has survived being gobbled up instead they have been one of the gobblers. The only old brands left are Lincoln, Airco/Conocoa, Harris (owned by Miller now), and Victor (Now owned by ESAB). I have heard the new Chinese and solid state stuff has a short life span compared to the old transformers and rectifiers.

Ron

/ Lincoln AC/DC question #12  
I still use one.
Lincoln leads.JPG

/ Lincoln AC/DC question #13  
I have one as well and the only thing I use it for today is enticing worms out of the ground for going fishing...

/ Lincoln AC/DC question #14  
Real men use T
They have outlasted the changes in the industry, still made todayand Lincoln has survived being gobbled up instead they have been one of the gobblers. The only old brands left are Lincoln, Airco/Conocoa, Harris (owned by Miller now), and Victor (Now owned by ESAB). I have heard the new Chinese and solid state stuff has a short life span compared to the old transformers and rectifiers.

Ron
Inverter welders and xformer welders, some Chinese, some not. Inverter welders I'd hazard if you pay low dollar, you'll get shorter life span you pay more dollars, longer life span. I've seen xformer welders that have been around for decades, some that didn't last a year. Unfortunately, you can pay big bucks and still get a machine that won't last long. But those Tombstone welders are still around. :D

Real men use Tombstone welders.

/ Lincoln AC/DC question #15  
Couple things here, Harris is owned by Lincoln not ITW/Miller and Until recently ESAB didn't even own themselves so they don't really own anything. ESAB sure was happy that Colfax put Victor in with the ESAB umbrella. Kept them from hemorrhaging $50 million for a 3rd year in a row.

/ Lincoln AC/DC question #16  
Harris Calorific used to be based in Cleveland, Ohio. I imagine they aren't there anymore. Lincoln still is (headquartered in Euclid Ohio), east of Cleveland and the Euclid plant produces all of their welding wire and SMAW rods as well. I used to deliver there a lot. Their electric motor division is east of there a bit as well.

/ Lincoln AC/DC question #17  
Couple things here, Harris is owned by Lincoln not ITW/Miller and Until recently ESAB didn't even own themselves so they don't really own anything. ESAB sure was happy that Colfax put Victor in with the ESAB umbrella. Kept them from hemorrhaging $50 million for a 3rd year in a row.
Yon, i new that about Lincoln but slipped on that post. Actually Miller is now the owner of the Smith brand of O/A stuff. They are making those products under the brand name "Weldcraft".

Prior to the acquistion of Victor by ESAB Victor had bought up Purox, Oxweld, and Prestolite. I recently acquired a rwebuilt set of Oxweld regulators so apparently there are nsome parts still out there. Also tried to get parts for older Harris and Airco regulators with no luck even fro area rebuilders.

As part of my little retirement buy/sell gig my buckets of scrap brass and copper are growing with gleaned from obsolete torches and regulators I get from time to time. Serems like diaphragms are the biggest failure point in regulators. Not much else to fail in them except the valve parts. Rebuild kits include the valve. Two stage regulators are a lot more complicated than single stage.

I get a lot of torches I get or see, the tips have been overheated so badly that the temper is gone and tip cleaners make the problem worse. They go to the copper scrap. I stick with making sets from only Victor and Harris as I can get knock off tips for a fourth of the OEM price.

Ron