Snow Equipment Owning/Operating L3130 overall length and snow blades

/ L3130 overall length and snow blades #1  

bugstruck

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST
Looking to ink the deal on a Kubota L3130 next week.

The dealer has advised me the BH 90 hoe I prefer requires the larger LA723 FEL, for counterbalance I understand. Only problem I see with the larger FEL/hoe setup is my current garage may not be large (long) enough. Is anone sitting on this model with either a BH90/LA723 or a BL4690/LA513 setup who knows the parked length of the machine with hoe in transport position? I have some dimensions from the website and I think I can add the FEL "reach with attachment on ground" to the tractor length for that combination?? But the hoe dimension is listed as "transport overhang from centerline of the swing pivot". That appears to be maybe 18" rearward of the rear tires. Hence I am a bit confused when it comes to total parked length. I'm working with 20'-6" and may choose to park the hoe outside and cover it until I can get shelter up.

I intend to add a rear blade or a front blade, primarily for snow, to this machine at time of purchase or shortly thereafter. I know the front blade is attached to the quick attach and I'd get the power angle if I go that way. I assume this is not an issue with working the FEL arms too hard. Anone with the front blade setup have a comment? It's only Maryland snow on ashpalt.

Finally!!!, any comments on a rear blade in lieu of the front? My main reason for the quick attach FEL bucket is for swapping to forks. So I guess either would work. Just seems unnatural to pull snow after having run through it. Is there a particular size/feature/type of rear blade that would be recommended if I go that way?

Thank You,
Chris

/ L3130 overall length and snow blades #2  
If you get the FEL, go for the rear blade..now, how much drive do you have to plow?

/ L3130 overall length and snow blades
I'm plowing just shy of 400' paved. It's steep and a bit curvey if that matters.

I also want to clear to within a few inches of grade (over lawn) about 175' for access to the wood pile (back end of lot) and the back of the house to transport firewood. The lawn is somewhat countoured. I live with some occasional scalping from my 325 lawn tractor front blade when I do this now. So that remains an option in the yard.

Thanks,

/ L3130 overall length and snow blades #4  
Personally, I'd go with the back blade...cheaper, and you'll still have use of the loader.

400' of drive is about 2½ times what I have here. For the great majorities of snows we get in our area, a back blade will plow fine. For lighter (< 8") snows, just leave the blade slightly above the gravel (or pavement) and drive forward for the first pass or so, then reverse, using the convex side of the blade all way down for the final clean up passes.

I guess it's obivious that you'll want to angle the blade so the snow pushes off to one side.

Heavy snows..I usually push right from the outset. That means operating in a reverse gear. That can be a bit tough on the back and neck though.

Again, personal opinion..I'd rather plow a few times while the snow hasn't accumulated too much. I've pushed up to 30" (that blizzard we had last year), but waiting for the snow to end results in a lot more work all at one time. Interim clearing goes pretty quick. I guess that depends on how much you like being outside in cold weather. I do, as long as I don't get wet.

There ya go..one TBNer's opinion. I'm sure you'll see more!