Mowing L2501 enough power?

/ L2501 enough power? #11  
I cut small fields for a side business. I'll be honest, I have only wished for more power when cutting heavy, thick grass. Wet makes it worse. My 5' cutter also has a tough time discharging the cut materials, so it builds and clogs as I go. If it had an open back, it would move along pretty well.

With the L2501, there is a lot more power to be had beyond the PTO speed of 2000 rpms.

/ L2501 enough power? #12  
Mowing grass the cutter should be set lower in front than the back. Less power consumed, less recutting, more room to discharge material. Cutting brush the mower can be set lower in the rear to better reduce the brush to decompose.

/ L2501 enough power? #13  
Good tip Rick. I'll adjust the tail wheel this weekend and give it a shot.

/ L2501 enough power? #14  
The L2501 has the old L3400 (34HP) engine that is RPM limited to stay under Tier 4 requirements. So it's a lot gutsier than the specs indicate.

I run a 6' bush hog on my L3200 and it does fine. I think a 2501 would be fine with a 5' unit.

/ L2501 enough power? #15  
I run a 62" flail mower on a 22HP BX2200 and have mowed 2-3' tall grass. I run it in low gear.

It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it works and I've never had an issue. It's great for mowing my trails when I don't have time to do it in my normal finish mowing schedule.

I'm sure it will run a lot better on a bigger machine, but that won't be in the cards for another year or so.

If anyone asks why I bought a 62" flail mower when I have a BX, it's because I know I'm upgrading down the line. I figured I'd start getting implements for the bigger machine. Turns out the BX is a little more mightier than I thought.

/ L2501 enough power? #16  
I have an L2501 with a 5 ft cutter and have mowed lots with some pretty thick grass. RickB was right about having your mower properly set up. That and keeping your blades sharp makes a huge difference. The L2501 to me is a modern day version of the old ford 8n. It’s a simple design that the average person can afford and work on themselves and can get most any job done.

/ L2501 enough power?
Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it