Kubota z231kw-42

/ Kubota z231kw-42 #1  

MossyDell

Silver Member
Tractor
B2601 (2021) B6100E (1988) B2100 (1991) JD970 (1998)
I am interested in this smaller zero turn because we have a tight, irregular lawn for the most part. But I wonder what the pros and cons are of this being at the bottom of the 231 lineup. It has a Kawasaki engine, 21.5 hp, which seems fine for my needs. It seems that in other brands the smaller 42" cut machines lack ROPS and are very light duty. Kubota's appears more heavy duty, though it lacks the rear hitch for using a pin to tow a small garden cart occasionally.

Does anyone have experience with this machine or similar?

/ Kubota z231kw-42 #2  
It appears well built with a quality engine imho. Also a fabricated (as opposed to stamped) deck is a big plus in longevity.
I have a Kawasaki v twin on my walk behind mower, and it has been flawless over the past 800 hours.
I would consider the Kubota residential mowers to be high end residential, certainly higher quality than the average box store mower.
All that said, I have no direct experience with the mower being considered. Kubota in general builds quality machinery, and I currently run (2) Kubota ZD diesel mowers.

/ Kubota z231kw-42
It appears well built with a quality engine imho. Also a fabricated (as opposed to stamped) deck is a big plus in longevity.
I have a Kawasaki v twin on my walk behind mower, and it has been flawless over the past 800 hours.
I would consider the Kubota residential mowers to be high end residential, certainly higher quality than the average box store mower.
All that said, I have no direct experience with the mower being considered. Kubota in general builds quality machinery, and I currently run (2) Kubota ZD diesel mowers.
Thanks, RJ. After looking at some others on another lot after posting, I think I share your perspective. The Kubota does cost considerably more. But the stamped decks on a few others seemed so cheap it made me wonder about the rest of the mowers.

/ Kubota z231kw-42 #4  
I am interested in this smaller zero turn because we have a tight, irregular lawn for the most part. But I wonder what the pros and cons are of this being at the bottom of the 231 lineup. It has a Kawasaki engine, 21.5 hp, which seems fine for my needs. It seems that in other brands the smaller 42" cut machines lack ROPS and are very light duty. Kubota's appears more heavy duty, though it lacks the rear hitch for using a pin to tow a small garden cart occasionally.

Does anyone have experience with this machine or similar?
I don't have the same unit, mines a Z724. That said, mine has been flawless for the past 6 years. No problems, maintenance so far has been very easy and it cuts fantastically. I preferred having the ROPS given some very steep hills on my property. As you mentioned, the fabricated deck is certainly the way to go.

Mine has the Koehler 23.5. At the time, the head mechanic at the dealer talked me out of the Kaw motor due to some cam issue for that year...Don't specifically remember what it was. Probably a short term problem I'm guessing given Kawasaki's reputation.

Yes the Kubotas are pretty spendy vs the box store brands but I believe it's money well spent. My 2c anyway.

/ Kubota z231kw-42
Tihanks, Tim! They are not cheap, and the salesman told me the prices are fixed, no negotiation. But I came across the paperwork for the former owner's old JD 345 rider I've been using and that's 27 years old: $7,300 plus. You can buy quite a ztr for that, though I doubt most will last that long. But neither will the new riders, probably.

/ Kubota z231kw-42 #6  
Tihanks, Tim! They are not cheap, and the salesman told me the prices are fixed, no negotiation. But I came across the paperwork for the former owner's old JD 345 rider I've been using and that's 27 years old: $7,300 plus. You can buy quite a ztr for that, though I doubt most will last that long. But neither will the new riders, probably.
Not really sure about the fixed pricing part. Once I agreed to buy my 724, another dealer messaged me with a fairly cheaper price than I paid for the same machine. I paid around $9k for mine with a few options added--LED's and a front integrated jack (recommend btw). I stuck with the dealer I have always used as they've always been good to me.

Although in this utterly bizarre supply chain and lack of inventory world we're forced to live in, the prices may very well be non-negotiable now.

My dad bought a John Deer garden tractor in 1989 it was something like $5,500. That thing ran great until just a couple of years ago.

Last edited: