John Deere "M"

/ John Deere "M" #1  

Scotty370

Platinum Member
Tractor
318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"
I've got a bug in my butt to by a small, wide front, "Johnny Popper". Call it flashbacks to my youth, but the sound of them, just takes me back! I've surfed the other vintage tractor sites, but can't really get a handle on prices. I'm looking at a complete "M", not recently restored, if ever. Just looks like an old dull green machine! I know it's worth whatever a person can get someone to pay for it, but don't want to walk up the drive without at least a clue! Any help on cost? ~"Scotty"

/ John Deere "M" #2  
I paid $1500 for the last M I bought which was a 1950 Model M with front snow blade, M1 plow and mounted rear cultivator. I sold the M1 plow for $150 and resold the tractor for $1750 with the snow blade. I also sold the front wheel weights for $100 and kept the cultivator for now. I might use it some time with my 1952 M. The M is a great little tractor. It doesn't take up very much space but is very handy and a lot of fun to operate if you can get use to climbing on and off it.

/ John Deere "M" #3  
My old man just sold a "GM" ( don't know what year) for ~$3500

It was just as you describe, dull but in perfect original condition

Or as I like to say "it looked as it should" for a 50 plus year old tractor

/ John Deere "M" #4  
A while ago we paid $2,600 for a great, restored, MT. Same as you're looking at but narrow front. That was a good deal.

For what you're looking at, $1500 seems about right.

Kyle

/ John Deere "M" #5  
Definitely a great tractor. My grandad replaced a team of horses with a new M back in 1950 and it still runs well to this day, needing nothing more over the years than a valve job or two. This was the first tractor I ever operated, and there are not many folks who could come up with enough cash to get it away from my family today. It still pulls the factory 2x12" plow with little trouble and works good for cultivating. Strangely we never bought another new tractor until 4 years ago when I picked up a JD 4120. Lots of used "junk" of other colors in between.

/ John Deere "M" #6  
I picked up an M over the winter, not the best looker but for 600 I couldnt pass it up, cleaned the carb, put a battery in it,, runs like a top. Nice little machine for odds and ends around here.