John Deere M rims

/ John Deere M rims #1  

Youare

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000
I friend of mine has an early 50's John Deere model M tractor which is in need of a replacement rear rim. The calcium has eaten it's way through the old rim leaving a good size section mising. Original rims are very hard to come by and very expensive.

I figure some one out there has had the same problem and converted another type rim to the tractor. Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Randy

/ John Deere M rims #2  
What size rim are you looking for? There were several models of the M tractor, and most had different rims, if I remember correctly. The serial number with the letter included on the tag would help too.

/ John Deere M rims
I think the tire size was 11.2 X 24 and the center of the rim is a really deformed or wavy looking piece. The center can be rotated to a second set of holes to change the wheel width.

Miller Tire wants almost $500.00 each for a replacement rim and there is a three month lead time. They do however sell just the rim section for that tire size for less than $90.00 each.
I think a center section can be fabricated and welded in place without much problem.

I was wondering if someone out there had already done something like this, or adapted another style wheel to fit.

Randy

/ John Deere M rims #4  
check valu-bilt and Wengers. My brother has an '47 M. It has 12.x 24 Armstrongs on it. Good luck!

/ John Deere M rims #5  
Standard rears were 11.2-24's. I have two JD M's a 50 and a 52. The 50 has cast iron centers and the 52 has regular steel centers. If you are trying to keep this thing worth anything start looking at old tractor junkyards or post on some of the vintage tractor boards. You will find a lot of JD people who will know where or who to talk to about these rims.

/ John Deere M rims #6  
Grab a copy of the green magazine... lotsa parts resources there.

Soundguy

/ John Deere M rims #7  
My first tractor was a 49 JD M. I bought it in 75, restored it, and used it til 88. A great little tractor.

Mine had calcium filled tires and they showed some rust eating through when I sold the tractor.

Now that I have a new Kubota, I don't want to go back, but it was a great tractor.

/ John Deere M rims
Thanks for all the help. It is a nice tractor for it's age. Right now it is the only means of snow plowing a 600 foot driveway in a small town in southeastern Vermont.

It would be nice to have original wheels some day but right now something that will hold air is necessary as fall is fast approaching. This tractor does have cast hubs that the tire rim bolts to.

Will keep on looking, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Randy

/ John Deere M rims #9  
This guy is parting out an M on e-bay. I see a couple of parts that I want for my brother. I don't see the rear rims listed, but he says he is parting out the whole tractor. Maybe you could e-mail him and find out if they are for sale.
Here's the link:
John Deere M stuff