John Deere A help

/ John Deere A help #1  

ssmedra

Tractor
john deere A
Restoring John deere model A. Have oil flow but no oil pressure. have new gage. To much clearance in the main bearings? Also not understanding the oil regulator. Might have problem in there maybe put together wrong.
any help or ideas
thanks

/ John Deere A help #2  
I would check that the pump in the tank is not plugged because that would cause little pressure. You will have to have some pressure because if you don't the lifters will make lots of noise.

Just out of curiosity what year is the John Deere you are restoring?

Those A's are nice old tractor. Love the sound of them two cylinders.

/ John Deere A help #3  
Ask an old John Deere mechanic. But we owned a 1954 A and had the same problem. The mechanic removed a plug from the side of the engine and stretched a spring the oil pressure increased. Might sound crazy but as God is my witness I saw it myself as a young boy of about 15 years old.

Don

/ John Deere A help
thanks for the info ill see what i can find out.
we believe it is a late 40 or early 41 it was my grandpas first tractor that he started farming with. he bought it a couple years old and apparently it came outa the factory with steel on the back and rubber on the front. and we have the orginal steels

/ John Deere A help #5  
Good luck with the oil pressure issue and have fun with the restoration. It makes the tractor restoration mean even more when it was owned and worked by a loved family member.

/ John Deere A help #6  
there are several reasons this could happen, plugged pickup screen, worn bearings, poor pump...even saw one that the pushrods had been drilled out for more flow to the rockers and it would not carry pressure either. sounds crazy but rip her down and start at the bottom and work your way up...check everything. do it perfect once and you will never have to lay a hand on it again:)

/ John Deere A help #7  
I had a 1945 and the shaft driving the oil pump off the cam shaft is coupled but means of a square slip coupler. On mine there must have been a bit of water in the bottom and the pump was frozen. When it started it split that square couple out in the corner. Easily enough to fix. Just squeeze it back together and weld to corner back together.

/ John Deere A help
thanks deerlop i accutually found that problem when i tore into it (probably why gmpa parked her) but i got a new coupler