Seeders John deere 750 no till with 5083e

/ John deere 750 no till with 5083e #1  

Jd5203

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 5203, John Deere 5083e
I am looking at getting a no till drill to reseed our pastures with. I have a john deere 5083e with cab loader, and the tires are filled with ballast. The tractor weighs about 10k pounds or more. We have some serious hills but I would go down them, up where i thought was safe, and sideways where safe. I am wondering if the tractor will handle this size seeder, it is a 15' drill, or if I should look for a smaller one. The only reason I'm looking at these is because the smaller ones are $20k + while I can find a deere 750 for $15. Any help would be great.

/ John deere 750 no till with 5083e #2  
Should work. Shouldn't push you around if it's in the ground.

/ John deere 750 no till with 5083e #3  
That's going to be a lot for that little tractor on serious hills. If it were flat ground it'd be fine, I'd say go for it... but 15' with "serious hills" is probably going to be too much. How much area are you seeding?

/ John deere 750 no till with 5083e
I will be seeding somewhere around 185 acres in pasture. The tractor has mwfd, but this morning I thought that if I got I could but hydraulic brakes on it just in case.

/ John deere 750 no till with 5083e #5  
That WAY too much drill for a 5000 series Deere. My uncle used to have a JD 750 drill and pulled it with a 150hp MFWD tractor on lightly rolling ground, seemed to be about right.

We have a M9540 Kubota which is just slightly larger than your 5083e and use a Lilliston 9670 no-till drill (8' working width) behind it. On some of the steep ground he have here it's all the tractor wants, both in power and ability to control the drill on side hills and downhill.

Our district does have two smaller drills, a great plains and a tye pasture pleaser. We've been using them for ten years, the problem is it seems their seeders are never set right and just don't do a good job, the other reason is having to wait for them to get to your name on the list. The other reason is I would use it for taxes and I can use it when I want and maybe do some side work with whatever I get.

That WAY too much drill for a 5000 series Deere. My uncle used to have a JD 750 drill and pulled it with a 150hp MFWD tractor on lightly rolling ground, seemed to be about right.

We have a M9540 Kubota which is just slightly larger than your 5083e and use a Lilliston 9670 no-till drill (8' working width) behind it. On some of the steep ground he have here it's all the tractor wants, both in power and ability to control the drill on side hills and downhill.

Thanks for mentioning the Lilliston as I had never heard of them. It is the same model you have for 8500, is this a good price, its been barn kept with 1600 acres on it. It is at hartman farm machinery if you want pictures. My question to you is how well do they work, are they hard to work on if they break, and how hard is it to get parts for them and where do you get them from.

/ John deere 750 no till with 5083e #9  
Our Lilliston 9670 is about 25yrs old with probably 2000ac on it. It's a great drill and probably in a different class than the others you are looking at. It is meant mostly for over-seeding pastures, not as much for drilling small grain crops, although it does that fine. It is pretty heavy and has hydraulic down force and weight boxes for drilling into really tough sod. Ours has the large seed hopper and a small seed hopper for legumes. Lilliston was also sold under the Bush Hog brand, maybe others as well. We've never had to buy any parts so I can't help you there.

Might be worth driving over and taking a look at it. I've bought equipment from Hartman Farm Machinery before and they were great to deal with.