JD X485 Overheats fast when mowing

/ JD X485 Overheats fast when mowing #21  
Don't think I can hear the fan roar or buzz on my X485. But your other suggestions appear to be good ones.

/ JD X485 Overheats fast when mowing
I'll be dogged! I fixed it!

Yesterday, I wrestled the radiator out and there was dirt in maybe 10% of cells, so I blew it out best I could then used the hose sprayer until no cells were clogged. I also ran water through it for a bit. Next I cleaned the smaller cooler which had dirt in about 30% of cells. That was a tedious job because I didn't remove it from the machine, although I could pull it out to the side somewhat while I sat on the front tire with my trusty collection of dental tools, zip ties, and toothpicks. Naturally while I was wrestling the radiator back in behind that blasted fan shield, I broke the fuel line T connector. Today, I put installed the new T, filled the radiator with 50/50 and left cap off so I could see movement after I started the machine up and saw movement. Oh, I forgot to mention that I also removed the thermostat and tested in boiling water and it functioned good so I put that back on too.

I just took it for a spin and the temp look perfect in the green even after cutting some high grass for a few passes. I parked it in the shade, because I couldn't wait to tell you guys! Thanks for all your advice; it's very appreciated.

Now a bit about me: I am a 62 y/o woman, (as of today,) and recently retired as a criminal defense attorney. My prior career was as an air traffic controller. I got my private pilot's license when I was 18 and went to college for aviation. In college I earned my commercial pilot's license for single and twin engine aircraft, but I graduated at the height of the '81 recession when airlines were laying off pilots and corporations were selling their airplanes.

My dad raced foreign cars all through the 1960s and was a superb mechanic. He and my mother open a Mercedes-Benz/BMW dealership in 1973, so I grew up around cars, boats, and airplanes. In 2001, I bought an old farmhouse and since then I have renovated it, mostly by myself. I put in 2 bathrooms and a kitchen where there were none and did all the plumbing and electrical myself.

My boyfriend is an old retired farmer who was also a welder and a carpenter. He helped me with replacing the windows and siding. We have been together since 2001 after he rode his bicycle over from his farm a mile away. Watching him try his damnedest not to shell out a dime for repairs or outside help taught me that I can and should try to fix stuff myself before throwing in the towel. I get very frustrated and lose my cool, but I am learning to just walk away and do something else for awhile like try to catch my rotten horse or work on winning the trust of an unhandled mule I picked up last fall. I have 5 equines and 3 dogs and they always want attention, not to mention my boyfriend over at his farm.

A couple years ago I bought a junky 1972 2-horse trailer that I spent a summer stripping and painting, replacing the floor, and rewiring with new lights. One of the springs broke when I brought the mule home so I had to learn how to replace that. I do not recommend that, because it was Hassle City, USA. I also restore horse drawn vehicles and show once a year at a pleasure driving show.

Fixing things is very satisfying for me. Most people these days don't know enough to even troubleshoot a problem. They have no idea how HVAC works at home or what makes their cars go vroom, vroom. They are at the mercy of contractors and mechanics, which is okay to a point, but they aren't aware of when they are getting taken. Personally, I cannot help but try to understand how things, (including government, medicine, human nature, animal behavior, etc.,) work. I want to know where the end of my abilities lie and so far there isn't much I am not willing to attempt. I have learned I can always do more than I think I can. If you have daughters out there, please encourage them to be self-sufficient. Teach them how stuff works. I hate seeing women feeling like only men can figure out things. They will appreciate what you teach them, even if just by example, but it may be many years before they realize the object of your lessons.

I am sure you'll see me on here again since there is no end to projects around here.

Take care y'all,

Suzanne

P.S. Things I am really bad at are: painting, caulking, gardening, and house-cleaning.

/ JD X485 Overheats fast when mowing #23  
Good to hear you gotRdun.

As to teaching, they (boys as well as girls) have to want to learn how things work. Without some desire to learn more, it is like pushing a string/rope/chain.
Three things impossible to do.. kiss a girl leaning away from you, climb a fence leaning toward you, and teaching someone who doesn't want to learn.

Have a son-in-law who is a PT in Dodgeville, WI

/ JD X485 Overheats fast when mowing #24  
I'll be dogged! I fixed it!

Yesterday, I wrestled the radiator out and there was dirt in maybe 10% of cells, so I blew it out best I could then used the hose sprayer until no cells were clogged. I also ran water through it for a bit. Next I cleaned the smaller cooler which had dirt in about 30% of cells. That was a tedious job because I didn't remove it from the machine, although I could pull it out to the side somewhat while I sat on the front tire with my trusty collection of dental tools, zip ties, and toothpicks. Naturally while I was wrestling the radiator back in behind that blasted fan shield, I broke the fuel line T connector. Today, I put installed the new T, filled the radiator with 50/50 and left cap off so I could see movement after I started the machine up and saw movement. Oh, I forgot to mention that I also removed the thermostat and tested in boiling water and it functioned good so I put that back on too.

I just took it for a spin and the temp look perfect in the green even after cutting some high grass for a few passes. I parked it in the shade, because I couldn't wait to tell you guys! Thanks for all your advice; it's very appreciated.

Now a bit about me: I am a 62 y/o woman, (as of today,) and recently retired as a criminal defense attorney. My prior career was as an air traffic controller. I got my private pilot's license when I was 18 and went to college for aviation. In college I earned my commercial pilot's license for single and twin engine aircraft, but I graduated at the height of the '81 recession when airlines were laying off pilots and corporations were selling their airplanes.

My dad raced foreign cars all through the 1960s and was a superb mechanic. He and my mother open a Mercedes-Benz/BMW dealership in 1973, so I grew up around cars, boats, and airplanes. In 2001, I bought an old farmhouse and since then I have renovated it, mostly by myself. I put in 2 bathrooms and a kitchen where there were none and did all the plumbing and electrical myself.

My boyfriend is an old retired farmer who was also a welder and a carpenter. He helped me with replacing the windows and siding. We have been together since 2001 after he rode his bicycle over from his farm a mile away. Watching him try his damnedest not to shell out a dime for repairs or outside help taught me that I can and should try to fix stuff myself before throwing in the towel. I get very frustrated and lose my cool, but I am learning to just walk away and do something else for awhile like try to catch my rotten horse or work on winning the trust of an unhandled mule I picked up last fall. I have 5 equines and 3 dogs and they always want attention, not to mention my boyfriend over at his farm.

A couple years ago I bought a junky 1972 2-horse trailer that I spent a summer stripping and painting, replacing the floor, and rewiring with new lights. One of the springs broke when I brought the mule home so I had to learn how to replace that. I do not recommend that, because it was Hassle City, USA. I also restore horse drawn vehicles and show once a year at a pleasure driving show.

Fixing things is very satisfying for me. Most people these days don't know enough to even troubleshoot a problem. They have no idea how HVAC works at home or what makes their cars go vroom, vroom. They are at the mercy of contractors and mechanics, which is okay to a point, but they aren't aware of when they are getting taken. Personally, I cannot help but try to understand how things, (including government, medicine, human nature, animal behavior, etc.,) work. I want to know where the end of my abilities lie and so far there isn't much I am not willing to attempt. I have learned I can always do more than I think I can. If you have daughters out there, please encourage them to be self-sufficient. Teach them how stuff works. I hate seeing women feeling like only men can figure out things. They will appreciate what you teach them, even if just by example, but it may be many years before they realize the object of your lessons.

I am sure you'll see me on here again since there is no end to projects around here.

Take care y'all,

Suzanne

P.S. Things I am really bad at are: painting, caulking, gardening, and house-cleaning.
Happy bday:) Glad it is working, and thanks for following up.

Best,

ed

/ JD X485 Overheats fast when mowing
True, it's harder to teach than ever, but sometimes they learn by osmosis. Didn't mean to exclude boys, just wanted to make sure girls are given a chance to get their hands dirty

/ JD X485 Overheats fast when mowing #26  
Good job Suzanne! Thanks for the update too. (y)

/ JD X485 Overheats fast when mowing #27  
I was a Class 8 (semi) truck mechanic for a large part of my life. When it came to overheating, 90% of the cause was a fan belt not gripping the pulleys or an externally plugged radiator core. The other 10% was thermostats, cracked heads, head gaskets, plugged core internally, impeller failure, injector timing, etc.
Beenthere: Try this--stand near a car with an electric fan. When it kicks on, I bet you can hear the commotion of the air being moved by the blades.
When the fan is 24-30 inches in diameter and the engine is at high idle, the roar or buzz is pretty real. But even with a 15" diameter fan, you can definitely hear the air roaring.

PS--another way to confirm if the belt is gripping is to get a socket on the alternator pulley and try to turn the alternator. If the alternator pully/belt slips without much effort, the belt isn't gripping. Notice I didn't use the word "tight" because even a tight belt can be slipping.
I acquired my grandfathers old 1941 SC Case and rebuilt the motor and gave it to my grandson.(His Great-Great Grandfathers tractor!) The belt dated to at least 1980, because that's when the tractor last ran. It's possible that the belt was original to the tractor. The engine overheated, seemingly without cause. The belt was tight, but it was so old, dry and stiff that it didn't pass the fan blade test. New belt--end of problem.

/ JD X485 Overheats fast when mowing #28  
lpakiz
Beenthere: Try this--stand near a car with an electric fan. When it kicks on, I bet you can hear the commotion of the air being moved by the blades.
When the fan is 24-30 inches in diameter and the engine is at high idle, the roar or buzz is pretty real. But even with a 15" diameter fan, you can definitely hear the air roaring.

Won't find that fan on the X485.. and running my X485 could hear no fan noise over the engine noise. It is not an electric clutched fan. Runs off a belt. Didn't measure the diameter of the fan (guess maybe 10-12") which draws air through the radiator/oil cooler.

But I've heard electric clutch fan noise when they kick in when the water gets up to temp and needs some fan cooling. Ain't like that on the X485.