JD LT166

/ JD LT166 #1  

kjsayers

Does anyone have this mower? I bought it at an auction a few months ago. i recently bought a new home with 2 ac of grass to mow. The home has somewhat of an incline in the front yard both up to it and away on one side. It has a 16hp 42" deck that I though would be sufficent. I have no idea of the history of it, but it seems to kind of struggle up the hills. What grade should a mower of this sort be able to mow? After 20 min. or so of cutting it could barley make it up the hill and then not at all. What's the deal?

/ JD LT166 #2  
I have a '98 LT166 with, I'd guess, something over a 200 hrs mowing with a 42" Freedom deck. While my lawn is mostly flat, I have steep spots which the mower climbs without complaints. I've found the freedom deck to be a terrific mulching deck. You might want to check belt tension and also make sure you are not pressing the pedal down very far. Like all Hydros, (and people) you get the best results with the lightest touch.

Cliff

/ JD LT166 #3  
I have the exact same mower
lt166
42" freedom deck
Got it in 2000 i think...

I Have mostly flat stuff to mow, but have never had a problem with power.

In really thick grass I do ocassionally have to slow down. Not with a normal mowing but if i happen to miss a week I might have some thick stuff. Again just slow down a bit and let the power go to the blades so they can eat slowly - and just go on through. I really never have this slowdown unless I've let the blades get dull. ( Yea I need to do them again right now )

I dont think it is likely - but look at the back end of the mower and make sure the neutral knob is fully in. It is a knob at the rear above the trailer hitch that releases the axels so you can push the mower around by hand if you ever need to.

Check hydro fluid.

I think all the lt166's where hydrostat right ???? Mine is. If your's is not then the above will make no sense to ya. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course I do not do the following while moving. But i have driven the mower up about a 30 degree ramp to load it and it has no problem with that.

A good tune-up may be all you need.
If you have a compression tester look at the compressions.
Plugs / carb ?

You probably already know about such things,,, but just thinking outloud (in case you dont know )

Good luck.

/ JD LT166 #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Check hydro fluid. )</font>

Interesting. My LT166 hydro is a sealed unit. The manual doesn't say how to check the hydro fluid nor change it. Can you really check and change yours? If so, where would the access be?

Cliff

/ JD LT166 #5  
kjsayers,
Did you figure out your problem? If so, please post more information so the rest of us might learn from you investigation.

Thanks,
Cliff