JD 750 (1986) Tachometer

/ JD 750 (1986) Tachometer #1  

cdober

Tractor
Deere 750
I have a 750 Tractor with a broken tach. It's beyond any hope of repair - I opened it up a couple of years ago to see if there was any hope and found it pretty well destroyed internally. It appeared to have jammed and then stuff broke loose. At some point the cable broke too, but that's the least of my concern, they're readily available.

Since then I've looked off and on for a replacement, but it appears there is no chance of getting another for anything under a few hundred bucks. Not a chance I'll pay that...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular aftermarket unit that can be installed without too much hassle? I've looked on eBay and Amazon at the myriad offerings of tachs and - where do you start? I mean beyond the 3K rpm and bezel size (2-3/8" / 60mm). I'm not worried about the bezel size too much - I replaced the instrument panel a while back with a custom made Lexan plate. I had bored it for the original size but it would be fairly easy to enlarge the hole a bit. I'm more concerned with the pickup method, what works well?. I'd also like to have an hour meter, but is it possible to get one that can be set to the existing hours, and will the hours accrued be retained if the battery is disconnected?

Thanks in advance for any good info!

Cliff

/ JD 750 (1986) Tachometer #2  
Welcome to TBN

/ JD 750 (1986) Tachometer #3  
I have a 750 Tractor with a broken tach. It's beyond any hope of repair - I opened it up a couple of years ago to see if there was any hope and found it pretty well destroyed internally. It appeared to have jammed and then stuff broke loose. At some point the cable broke too, but that's the least of my concern, they're readily available.

Since then I've looked off and on for a replacement, but it appears there is no chance of getting another for anything under a few hundred bucks. Not a chance I'll pay that...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular aftermarket unit that can be installed without too much hassle? I've looked on eBay and Amazon at the myriad offerings of tachs and - where do you start? I mean beyond the 3K rpm and bezel size (2-3/8" / 60mm). I'm not worried about the bezel size too much - I replaced the instrument panel a while back with a custom made Lexan plate. I had bored it for the original size but it would be fairly easy to enlarge the hole a bit. I'm more concerned with the pickup method, what works well?. I'd also like to have an hour meter, but is it possible to get one that can be set to the existing hours, and will the hours accrued be retained if the battery is disconnected?

Thanks in advance for any good info!

Cliff
Try Hoye Yanmar Parts on the Yanmar forum. Should be a unit to interchange.